6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 8:06 PM by 606331 RSS

DBUA failure - now what?

Hi, i am in real need of some help....

My first upgrade using DBUA has been some what of a disaster (luckily its just a test db)

I am going from 10.2.0.5 to 11.2.0.3 using aix.

My DBUA upgrade failed due to the following reason : log_archive_dest_1 cannot be parsed. This has now been corrected but what now?

I cant start in 11.2 as i get the following error:

ORA-00204: error in reading (block 419, # blocks 1) of control file
      ORA-00202: control file: '/u02/oradata/TST1A/TST1A/control01.ctl'
      ORA-27069: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file
      Additional information: 419
      Additional information: 1
      Additional information: 335

I can still run my database in 10.2 but what do i do now for upgrading it? I cant use DBUA again as it says 'all the components have already been upgraded' (and from the documentation it shouldnt be run again anyway).

So how can i tell how far the upgrade has gone and where do i continue from?

On a more general note from experienced DBA's what is the feeling regarding DBUA? Its caused me no end of problems even though Oracle recommend it. Is it really the best option?

Kind regards
        • 1. Re: DBUA failure - now what?
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Pl post your OS details. DBUA is the recommended method of upgrading a database as it automates many tasks during the upgrade process. In my years of working with Oracle software, it has worked flawlessly, assuming one follows directions to the letter.

In your case, I would suggest that you restore the backup of the 10g database (you do have one, don't you ? - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/upgrade.htm#i1011982 - Step 4) and re-run the DBUA process all over again.

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: DBUA failure - now what?
            Hemant K Chitale
            Yours seems to be a wierd situation. If DBUA has completed, how are you able to "run" the database in 10.2 ?
            If the 11.2 binaries try to find a non-existent block in the controlfile, how does 10.2 succeed ?

Are there two different images of the database ? On still in 10.2 and not upgraded and the other in 11.2 and failing ?

I use the Manual Upgrade steps and not DBUA. I have better control over what I am doing and I can time each step during the test upgrade cycles, so that I have a better upgrade tasks plan for production.

Hemant K Chitale
            • 3. Re: DBUA failure - now what?
              Rob_J
              Hi,

Personally, I never use the DBUA to run the actual upgrade or installation. I might use it to generate the scripts though, and modify as necessary. Running the scripts manually allows you to see exactly what happened. Using the DBUA there are a million ways that there could be an error and you have to rely on it catching that error and reporting it back whilst also stopping the process of upgrading the DB. It's a lot for it to do, in my opinion, and you don't really have any clue what it's doing underneath the covers.

What's the output from this:
              -- Shows a list of components, the status and their version
              SET LINES 120
              SET PAGES 1000
              COl COMP_NAME FOR A60
              SELECT COMP_NAME, VERSION, STATUS FROM DBA_REGISTRY;
              There is a written out example of a full, [url http://www.ora00600.com/articles/10g-to-11g-database-upgrade.html]step-by-step 10g to 11g upgrade guide which are my notes on it. They might be of help when you are ready to try again, but make sure that you read the upgrade guide too.

Rob
              • 4. Re: DBUA failure - now what?
                Thanks for all your responses.....

to answer some questions, i am running aix 5.3. Running the query SET LINES 120
                SET PAGES 1000
                COl COMP_NAME FOR A60
                SELECT COMP_NAME, VERSION, STATUS FROM DBA_REGISTRY; - all values are set to 10.2

One thing of note was the etc/oratab had changed to 11.2 after the upgrade. Ive played around with this and it made no difference, but have currently changed it back to 10.2

I have done a full restore of the 10.2 database (RMAN is great !!) and 10.2 is working perfectly (i did have a problem with putting into archive mode before i did the restore).

I was hoping to run DBUA again but again i got the message saying ' all components have already been upgraded' . Now im really confused.

Ive got to oraclehome/11.2.0.3/dbs and can see a pfile for my database so some things were obviously done during the aborted upgrade.

So im back where i started.

Can anyone offer any further help?

Thanks
                • 5. Re: DBUA failure - now what?
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle
                  882839 wrote:
                  Thanks for all your responses.....

to answer some questions, i am running aix 5.3. Running the query SET LINES 120
                  SET PAGES 1000
                  COl COMP_NAME FOR A60
                  SELECT COMP_NAME, VERSION, STATUS FROM DBA_REGISTRY; - all values are set to 10.2
                  Pl post the actual output of this sql statement.

One thing of note was the etc/oratab had changed to 11.2 after the upgrade. Ive played around with this and it made no difference, but have currently changed it back to 10.2
                  It should be set to 10.2 for DBUA to work as expected - pl post the contents of this file also.
                  I have done a full restore of the 10.2 database (RMAN is great !!) and 10.2 is working perfectly (i did have a problem with putting into archive mode before i did the restore).

I was hoping to run DBUA again but again i got the message saying ' all components have already been upgraded' . Now im really confused.
                  Again, pl post (using cut and paste) the actual error messages and codes. Pl also post the output of the command "env | sort" just before DBUA is invoked.

>
                  Ive got to oraclehome/11.2.0.3/dbs and can see a pfile for my database so some things were obviously done during the aborted upgrade.

So im back where i started.

Can anyone offer any further help?

Thanks
                  HTH
                  Srini
                  • 6. Re: DBUA failure - now what?
                    Hi,

i agree with what Hemant suggested ..go for manual upgrade it would be better and more interactive ...we can find out issues& error easily manual upgrading process where we got the issue ...etc ..... than DBUA...

Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades to 11gR2 [ID 837570.1

thanks,
                    DBC,
                    Sr DBA.