12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 2:42 AM by BluShadow RSS

what can you tell about a username?

Dude!
      Hi,

Some users have names like, user4xxxxx, user5xxxxx, 94xxxxx, 95xxxxx etc. I suppose these are automated usernames. Is there anything than could be determined about the origin, based on the pattern?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: what can you tell about a username?
          Billy~Verreynne
          AFAIK, the numeric sequence in usernames are automated sequence number that gets bumped and allocated as default user handle on registration. It would seem that the current Jives sequence is in the 9's.

You could perhaps relate a year to it (when it was allocated). But each user already has an explicit date joined that is publicly displayed. So there is not much one can infer from the number, I think.
          • 2. Re: what can you tell about a username?
            SomeoneElse
            what can you tell about a username?
            That most people are too lazy to make up a non-numeric handle?
            • 3. Re: what can you tell about a username?
              Dude!
              For what it's worth, if I login to OTN using my CSI, which is just a couple of years old, I get automatically assigned a 80xxxx number. So is it possible the numeric usernames are based on product support or country?
              • 4. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                Billy~Verreynne
                Not sure how product support can feature as OTN has no idea what products you are using, or what your CSI is?

And for what reason would regional identification be useful? That can already be determined by the IP you use to access OTN.

Perhaps google on Jives and see what config options and choices are described.

Are you concerned about the anonymity of a username and that it can be regionalised or associated with a specific product?
                • 5. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                  jgarry
                  I noticed a few minutes ago that one new user (revivifying a 2008 thread) was from gmail India and a few numbers before him was Swaziland, if the user info is to be believed.
                  • 6. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                    Dude!
                    One can use the CSI credentials to login to OTN, which apparently assigns a number. I guess that's part of the single sign-on. I'm just curious if there was perhaps any logic to these and other numbers people are using here as their usernames.
                    • 7. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                      Brianw-Oracle
                      If a user doesn't enter a handle after signing up, they'll be assigned a name like user92939 until such time as they change their handle. Those who have those handles simply have not got into their Control Panel and changed it.
                      • 8. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                        Dude!
                        Obviously some people have not set a handle in their control panel. ;-)

I just tested it and was assigned a "99xxxx" number. I checked the profile of some account that was registered 1 month ago with a 98xxxx number. March last year was apparently 92xxxx. Assuming it is only a sequential number without any other logic behind, does this mean there where 10000 new registrations during the last month?
                        • 9. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                          EdStevens
                          Dude wrote:
                          ... does this mean there where 10000 new registrations during the last month?
                          Yeah, and 3000 of them used their very first post to dredge up a 5 year old thread so they could say 'thank you' or 'me too'.
                          Another 3000 wanted help installing Oracle 9.1 on Ubuntu.

;-)

Edited by: EdStevens on Mar 4, 2013 8:21 PM
                          • 10. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                            Billy~Verreynne
                            Dude wrote:
                            Obviously some people have not set a handle in their control panel. ;-)

I just tested it and was assigned a "99xxxx" number. I checked the profile of some account that was registered 1 month ago with a 98xxxx number. March last year was apparently 92xxxx. Assuming it is only a sequential number without any other logic behind, does this mean there where 10000 new registrations during the last month?
                            Possibly - as you just demonstrated, some register simply for no other reason but to see what number they get. ;-)
                            • 11. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                              Brianw-Oracle
                              Forums is tied into the Profile system. Anyone who registers an account will get a forums handle, however, very few will actually come to the forums. It is quite possible to have 10,000 new accounts created overall per month
                              • 12. Re: what can you tell about a username?
                                BluShadow
                                Brian W - Oracle Mod wrote:
                                Forums is tied into the Profile system. Anyone who registers an account will get a forums handle, however, very few will actually come to the forums. It is quite possible to have 10,000 new accounts created overall per month
                                Especially considering the number of spammers that sign up. ;)