This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2013 6:46 AM by Dan.Norris RSS

Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?

Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
Does anyone know if there are software / algorithm changes in the X3 ?
SmartScan
StorageIndexes
EHCC
?
anything new ?

Hemant K Chitale
  • 1. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    Marc Fielding Journeyer
    Hello Hemant,

Exadata X3 is a hardware revision, not software. So perhaps the better question to ask would be: are there any user-affecting feature changes in Exadata storage server software 11.2.3.2 (which was released concurrently with X3 hardware)?

The major new feature of this release was the introduction of the write-back flash cache. I'm not aware of any user-affecting changes to smart scans, storage indexes, or columnar compression. Major changes like this would probably require changes to the database software as well.

Hope this helps!

Marc
  • 2. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi Friend,

1. In X2 Per CPU - 6 Core. In X3 Per CPU - 8 Core

2. In X2 Per Server 96 GB RAM and expandable to 144 GB. In X3 Per Server 128 GB RAM and expandable to 256 GB RAM

3. In X2 Networking component : 4 x 1GbE copper. In X3 Networking component : 4 x 1 or 10 GbE copper

4. In X2 PCIe Bus Gen 2.0 & In X3 PCIe Bus Gen 3.0

5. In X3 - New Intel 8-core E5 “SandyBridge” CPUs, more memory, 10GbE

6. In X2 Flash 384 GB. In X3 Flash 1600 GB

7. There is no changes in Disks

8. In X3 - New F40 Flash PCI Card in Storage

9. In X3 - Exadata Smart Flash Cache Write-Back

10. In X3 - Database writes go directly to flash cache

Hope it helps...

Thanks
    LaserSoft
  • 3. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    Dan.Norris Employee ACE
    LaserSoft wrote:

9. In X3 - Exadata Smart Flash Cache Write-Back

10. In X3 - Database writes go directly to flash cache
    Correction to these two points - these are not X3 features. A rack of X2 hardware that is upgraded to the latest Exadata software version (currently 11.2.3.2.1) would also have these features. They are not hardware features at all, as Marc mentioned earlier in this thread.
  • 4. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    LaserSoft,

Thank you. However, you are listing the hardware differences.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 5. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    Major changes like this would probably require changes to the database software as well
    I was wondering about this. Since the Exadata Storage Servers run their own software, I thought that there might be (or can possibly be) changes here independent of changes in the database server software.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 6. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    Marc Fielding Journeyer
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:
    Major changes like this would probably require changes to the database software as well
    I was wondering about this. Since the Exadata Storage Servers run their own software, I thought that there might be (or can possibly be) changes here independent of changes in the database server software.
    And changes like the write-back flash cache are great examples of changes that are implemented in the storage server without the database even known about it. But features like smart scans and hybrid columnar compression require the involvement of the database layer, and with no recent database releases, this might be a reason why we didn't seen this type of change in 11.2.3.2.

Marc
  • 7. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    andy.colvin Oracle ACE
    While the writeback flashcache feature was introduced in a storage server release, it does require 11.2.0.3 BP9 (August 2012) to be used at the database layer. It's very important to try to keep the software stacks matched up from a release date standpoint. You never know what strange things may come up if you don't ever patch your database homes and apply the latest patches to the storage servers.
  • 8. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    robinsc Explorer
    Hi Dan,
    you answer is not the whole picture , Just upgrading the storage software version does not enable writeback caching by default. you need to drop the flash cache , change the caching mode and recreate the flash cache. We just saw an instance where the engineers did the update and forgot to make the writeback change so the flash cache is still running as write through.
  • 9. Re: Does the X3 introduce software / algorithm changes ?
    Dan.Norris Employee ACE
    Agreed - I should have worded my response more clearly. I meant to say that the software upgrade makes those features available, even on X2. However, enabling/employing those features may (and as you note, does) require some additional steps.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points