8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 1:02 AM by yxes2013 RSS

Help for materialized View & Streams.

yxes2013
      Hi all,

I am confused....I thought streams is replacing materialized view and replication :(

What are the difference between "streams", "advance replication", and "mat. views"?

Thanks a lot,

zxy
        • 1. Re: Help for materialized View & Streams.
          asahide
          Hi,

Mview and Streams Intro..
          <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17516/tdpii_intro2ii.htm#CHDIGBDE>>

Advanced Replication Intro..
          <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16338_01/server.112/e10706/repoverview.htm#i19713>>

- Advanced Replication FAQ
          <<http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Advanced_Replication_FAQ>>

Regards,

Edited by: asahideO on 2013/03/05 10:49
          • 2. Re: Help for materialized View & Streams.
            CKPT
            I am confused....I thought streams is replacing materialized view and replication :(
            Why sad? just chill ;)
            What are the difference between "streams", "advance replication", and "mat. views"?
            Check this note *370850.1 Comparison Between Features RAC, Dataguard, Streams, Advanced Replication and Basic Replication*

Also some interesting discussions http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Oracle-Streams-vs-Advanced-Replication,1
            Re: Replication using Materialized View vs Streams
            • 3. Re: Help for materialized View & Streams.
              yxes2013
              I thank you all :)

I'm in a rush deadline dear :(

My boss ask me to replicate a table (with image column - picture of a person) which comes from sql server database to and oracle database.
              What do I do :( . Can I use mat. views + streams + advance repl? also dbvisit?
              Note that the target oracle database is remote and the image pictures are large lob data and we process 10,000 rows everyday.

Have you done similar to this task before?

Thankssssssss
              • 4. Re: Help for materialized View & Streams.
                asahide
                image column - picture of a person
                BLOB Column?
                • 5. Re: Help for materialized View & Streams.
                  yxes2013
                  Sure it is :) ...are there other data types for picture image aside from BLOB?
                  • 6. Re: Help for materialized View & Streams.
                    JustinCave
                    yxes2013 wrote:
                    I'm in a rush deadline dear :(

My boss ask me to replicate a table (with image column - picture of a person) which comes from sql server database to and oracle database.
                    Well, presumably you informed your boss that you didn't know how to accomplish the task and that it would take some time for you to learn. And hopefully your estimates included sufficient padding to account for the fact that you'll be reading a lot of documentation.
                    What do I do :( . Can I use mat. views + streams + advance repl? also dbvisit?
                    Can you use materialized views? Sure.
                    Can you use Streams? Sure.
                    You could also use GoldenGate which is the technology Oracle has depricated Streams in favor of.

I'm not sure that I see why you would want to use advanced replication unless you intend on doing bidirectional replication.

I have no idea what dbvisit is. That doesn't sound like an Oracle technology.

Justin
                    • 7. Re: Help for materialized View & Streams.
                      yxes2013
                      And hopefully your estimates included sufficient padding to account for the fact that you'll be reading a lot of documentation.
                      I told my boss, that I have an expert friend named "justin" :) who will help fastrack the task.
                      I'm not sure that I see why you would want to use advanced replication unless you intend on doing bidirectional replication.
                      I am more confused now, I thought advance replication is the same with streams :( or streams replaced the advance replication tool because it is more reliable.

Why is oracle creating lots of redundant tools?
                      • 8. Re: Help for materialized View & Streams.
                        yxes2013
                        I heard golden gate was bought lately by Oracle. So it is going to trash out streams and advance replication? Any comments?

Another question....why is Oracle not buying SAP? is SAP as rich as Oracle? :)