This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 7:39 AM by CraigB RSS

FRM-40815 GLOBAL.<VARIABLE NAME> does not exist

Arun Prasath Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

"FRM-40815 GLOBAL.<VARIABLE NAME> does not exis"

The above error is coming in 'Sale Order Booking' window of Oracle Application. From my observation, if the Global variable doesn't instanciated before the form start execution, this error will come.

It was working good till yesterday. When no one modified the form code, how this error occurs??

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance :)
  • 1. Re: FRM-40815 GLOBAL.<VARIABLE NAME> does not exist
    HamidHelal Guru
    Arun Prasath wrote:
    Hi,

"FRM-40815 GLOBAL.<VARIABLE NAME> does not exis"

The above error is coming in 'Sale Order Booking' window of Oracle Application. From my observation, if the Global variable doesn't instanciated before the form start execution, this error will come.

It was working good till yesterday. When no one modified the form code, how this error occurs??

Any suggestions???
    hello Arun Prasath,
    I think it's not the issue with the 'Sale Order Booking'.
    It's says global variable doesn't exist. Means it's not getting the variable.
    When nothing is declared, and i use that , this message will show.

Issue with the declaration. check where it is declared ..means first declaration should be ok.

Hope this helps

Hamid
  • 2. Re: FRM-40815 GLOBAL.<VARIABLE NAME> does not exist
    Amatu Allah Guru
    Hi

U need to use the built in
    DEFAULT_VALUE
    look for more information in on line help of the forms builder
    it is noramally used to initialize global variable if they are not exist. If global variable are not exist in system then it will create new one or else assign value if its value is NULL.
    :global.any_global_name = 'characters value passed';
    Or u can find out where the global is by debugging...
    by debugging u would determine the data type of the global variable number or characters value but it won't stopped unless u declare it.

Good Luck :)

Amatu Allah
  • 3. Re: FRM-40815 GLOBAL.<VARIABLE NAME> does not exist
    CraigB Guru
    Arun,
    This is the inherent problem with using Global Variables. They do not produce compile time errors if the Global doesn't exists; they only produce runtime errors. What this means is you have to be 100% certain the Global is created before you try to reference it. Check your "Sales Order Booking" form and make sure your Global is instanciated before you reference it in your code.

Personally, I rarely use Globals. Global variables, in my opinion, are used incorrectly in msot Forms applications. Global variables should only be used to hold a value that is used across your entire Forms Session - not as a local program unit or Form variable. There are better alternatives available - that consume less resources and are more strongly typed - than Global variables.

Craig...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points