9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 7:53 AM by Harsh_v RSS

Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"

Harsh_v
      Hi All,

please try to resolve my trouble.
      I was " Silent apply " patch "p8202632_10205_LINUX" for upgrade Oracle release "10.2.0.1" to "10.2.0.5" in my office production server.
      Now Client requirement is revert back it to last release "10.2.0.1" in silent mode. please tell me how Silently revert oracle release.

thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
          Osama_Mustafa
          What is the reasons ? 10g is De-supported now, people Goes up not down
          • 2. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
            EdStevens
            Harshit -{A> wrote:
            Hi All,

please try to resolve my trouble.
            I was " Silent apply " patch "p8202632_10205_LINUX" for upgrade Oracle release "10.2.0.1" to "10.2.0.5" in my office production server.
            Now Client requirement is revert back it to last release "10.2.0.1" in silent mode. please tell me how Silently revert oracle release.

thanks in advance
            If your 'client' truely needs to revert from 10.2.0.5 to 10.2.0.1*, then why do they care if it is done is silent mode?

Why do they want to revert from one unsupported version to an even older* unsupported version?

And they fact they need to revert at all suggests someone just threw the patch into production without any testing.

Something doesn't smell right about this.
            • 3. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              Check the README of patch 8202632 for de-installation instructions

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
                Harsh_v
                Dear EdStevens,

because client say after apply patch every query take more CPU and take long time.
                I am checking Oracle Hit ration and I/Os. these all are well. Client say "every query" slow is after apply patch please revert Oracle version.

that why requirement. even according to me patch is successfully applied.
                • 5. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
                  Hi,
                  try below...

Removing the Patch Set Software for Single Instance Installation

Perform. the following steps for removing the patch set from the 10.2.0.5 patch release:

Use SQL*Plus to log in to the database as theSYSuser withSYSDBAprivileges:

$ sqlplus /NOLOG
                  SQL> CONNECT SYS AS SYSDBA
                  Enter password:SYS_password
                  SQL>
                  SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
                  EXIT
                  SQL>
                  Take a backup of the following file in 10.2.0.5 Oracle home directory:

$ ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catrelod.sql
                  $ ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
                  Enter the following SQL*Plus commands:

$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
                  $ ./sqlplus /NOLOG
                  SQL>
                  STARTUP DOWNGRADE
                  SPOOL downgrade.out
                  @?/rdbms/admin/catdwgrd.sql
                  SPOOL OFF
                  SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
                  EXIT
                  SQL>
                  Review thedowngrade.outfile for errors.

Restore the Oracle10ginstallation and Central Inventory (see/etc/oraInst.loc) that you backed up before applying the patch set.

After restoring the original Oracle home, copy the saved version ofcatrelod.sqlscript. into the restored
                  Oracle homerdbms/admindirectory. Also copy the saved version of10.2.0.5/network/admin/tnsnames.oradirectory
                  into the restored Oracle home/network/admin/tnsnames.oradirectory, and then perform. the following steps:

$ sqlplus /NOLOG
                  SQL>
                  STARTUP DOWNGRADE
                  SPOOL catrelod.out
                  @?/rdbms/admin/catrelod.sql
                  SPOOL OFF
                  SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
                  SQL>
                  Review the catrelod.outfile for errors.

Note:
                  Ignore the ORA-29844 and ORA-31085 errors found in thecatrelod.outfile. These errors are tracked with Oracle bugs 4758112 and 4425495 respectively.
                  After reloading a 10.2.0.2 release, the version number for Oracle Data Mining remain at 10.2.0.5. This issue is tracked with Oracle bug 4758695.

After reloading a 10.2.0.1 or a 10.2.0.2 release, the version number for Oracle OLAP Analytic Workspace remain at 10.2.0.5. This issue is tracked with Oracle bug 4751917.

Start the database and recompile the remaining invalid objects:

SQL>
                  STARTUP
                  @?/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql
                  SQL>
                  Cross-check the status of installed components with the following script.:

SQL> SELECT COMP_NAME, VERSION, STATUS FROM SYS.DBA_REGISTRY;

check below link for more info.
                  http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_downgrading_oracle.htm
                  thanks,
                  DBC.
                  • 6. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
                    Harsh_v
                    thanks DBC...

please tell me one thing more.
                    why Oracle process take CPU after apply patch.
                    • 7. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
                      Hello Hershit,

tell me your database statistics are up to date or not?
                      =====
                      CPU overload It will/may be depends on the hardware and also the configuration of the database.

possible cause: More likely it was optimizer changes between 10.2.0.1 and 10.2.0.5. 10.2.0.1 came up with a better plan where 10.2.0.5 came up with a worse plan may be
                      (most of the cases after patch set upgrade or any version upgrade)

If the statistics are not collected, then basically the DB is unable to choose the right index for every execution or none, hence putting extra load on the system for full table scan.
                      After the patchset update your DB cache is empty and collecting statistics will help in running the database to run in the way it is designed.
                      There could have been other things that could have also contributed to the CPU utilisation.
                      Oracle enhances CBO from version to version, and gathering correct and recent statistics for CBO will help in generating effective execution plans.
                      The statistics from the previous version (in your case very old statistics) will make CBO to generate less optimal execution plans.

hope statistics collection daily/weekly will solve your issue. But if you are curious then look at the awr reports, the database should be collecting stats every hour and one of those stats is top sql statements.

thanks,
                      DBC.
                      • 8. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
                        Hi,

mostly statistics collection will solve the you issue...if not..contact oracle support...
                        can you please elaborate your environment...
                        like cpu's,RAM..etc...

for more info please refer below links...it my helpful to you....

hope reverting is not required.....

https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/ui/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?_afrLoop=123250454473506&id=8199533.8&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=4dec84h35_193
                        https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/ui/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?_afrLoop=124550737648336&id=1087991.1&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=1nzmm8rv9_77

thanks,
                        DBC.
                        • 9. Re: Revert Oarcle Patch "10.2.0.5" to "10.2.0.1"
                          Harsh_v
                          thanks DBC.....

its really helpful.... thanks again :)