3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 3:11 AM by CKPT RSS

standby doubts

Hello all,

1)Standby Redo Logs do not to be multiplexed. Is it bacause to prevent additional writes by RFS process to SRL?

2) How can I open the standby in read only mode if I have no online redo logs?

3)If standby redo logs files is not present then RFS process directly creates archive logs?
        • 1. Re: standby doubts
          CKPT
          1)Standby Redo Logs do not to be multiplexed. Is it bacause to prevent additional writes by RFS process to SRL?
          Yes, if you configure multiplexed standby redo log files it has to write simultaneously.
          2) How can I open the standby in read only mode if I have no online redo logs?
          To open standby database in open-mode still it wont use any Online redo log files, In read only it wont perform any read/write operations, hence no need of online redo log files. Moreover if you have duplicated the online redo log files exist but they will be in idle mode, Once you performed role transition like switchover/failover then only they will be used.
          3)If standby redo logs files is not present then RFS process directly creates archive logs?
          Yes, it will create.
          • 2. Re: standby doubts
            Thanks for your valuable comments.

Regarding my 1st question:

Additional writes slowing down sending processes(LNS) on the production database. correct?
            • 3. Re: standby doubts
              CKPT
              981738 wrote:
              Thanks for your valuable comments.

Regarding my 1st question:

Additional writes slowing down sending processes(LNS) on the production database. correct?
              No, LNS will be on primary and it will send to standby,
              But on standby it has to write in two standby redo log files if in case there is any slowness in archiving. And if in case any corruption on standby redo logs then archives can be fetched or copied from primary, Hence no need to multiplex the archive logs. And it is recommended for online redo log files to avoid SPOF.

HTH.