This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 4:09 PM by EJP RSS

De-Allocating Memory

995455 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello!

i'm a programmer with extensive programming knowledge about C++ and hence i know about memory management....
I have made this small little program in Java:

-----

Class myThread extends Thread{

public void run(){

System.out.println("I RAN!!!");
new myThread().start();

}

}

Class mainClass{

public static void main(String args[]){

new myThread().start();

}

}

-----

but the thing is, that if i run this program for a long time, it says something like memory couldn't be allocated or something like that.
all i wanna do is delete the current thread before starting the new one...

is is possible?

please help....
  • 1. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    r035198x Pro
    Your thread's run method starts a new thread whose run method starts a new thread whose run method starts a new thread ...
  • 2. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    Kayaman Guru
    992452 wrote:
    i'm a programmer with extensive programming knowledge about C++ and hence i know about memory management....
    Okay. Well, as you know, there's no direct memory management in Java.
    I have made this small little program in Java:
    Why on earth?
    but the thing is, that if i run this program for a long time, it says something like memory couldn't be allocated or something like that.
    What's "long time"? And what OS are you on? And what's the exact error message?
    Well, you can't delete threads. Even though there's the Thread.stop() method, it's been deprecated.
    What are you really trying to do? This whole mindless spawning of threads can't be what you're after (and it would be ridiculously stupid to just create new threads instead of pooling them).
  • 3. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert
    What do you wanted to proove with this progam? That Java thread creation is fast enough to fill the whole memory before the GC is able to remove the dead ones?

Did you write the same in C++?
    did it fail there?

bye
    TPD
  • 4. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    939520 Explorer
    I suggest you read a book on Java and avoid trying to port any of your knowledge of C++ to Java. Its the wrong approach.
  • 5. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    EJP Guru
    Then you'll have to write different code. Your present code requires all threads, i.e. an infinite number of them, to be in existence before any of them can exit.
  • 6. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    gimbal2 Guru
    This looks like the work of a programmer who likes recursive code a little too much. Pretty neat way to go awry to be honest - recursive thread spawning! Now there is a way to keep the factory pipes smoking.

Yet another thread that proves that using pre-existing knowledge of another language and architecture to try and reason out Java can only lead to failure.
  • 7. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    EJP Guru
    I don't see that that's really true here. The same kind of code would have the same problems in C++ as well. Rubbish code is rubbish in any programming language.
  • 8. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    baftos Expert
    I would like to see the equivalent C++ code that does not misbehave. I am not being sarcastic or anything, just curious.
  • 9. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    gimbal2 Guru
    baftos wrote:
    I would like to see the equivalent C++ code that does not misbehave. I am not being sarcastic or anything, just curious.
    Would be something. Although I really can't be @rsed to go and install a C++ development environment to compile and try it out :/ I'm terrible like that.
  • 10. Re: De-Allocating Memory
    EJP Guru
    Me too. I'd love to see it. I don't believe it exists.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points