14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2013 1:51 PM by patfmnd RSS

vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open

KarenH
      Hi, We recently loaded APEX 4.2.1.00.08 into our DEV environment. I am in the process of moving applications developed in 4.1.2 theme 13 into this new environment. I would like to migrate up to apex theme 25 but am having an issue with navigational lists using vertical unordered lists with bullets. We use these types of navigational lists often, but if there is a better way...happy to know about it.

the problem I have is that several of our lists have child/parent....so for example in the list below

PARTICIPANTS
      VESSELS
      DAILY MESSAGE

if I click on PARTICIPANTS my list should open as:

PARTICIPANTS
      --edit participant
      --manage participant
      VESSELS
      DAILY MESSAGE

but it does nothing. Any thoughts?

thanks.
      Karen

Edited by: KarenH on Mar 7, 2013 12:08 PM
        • 1. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
          fac586
          Suggest you create an example of this on apex.oracle.com.
          • 2. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
            KarenH
            Unfortutely, this is a large application and contains many supporting objects, so I have never had luck moving this on to apex workspace as it never runs. I will see if I can duplicate it some other way, but was hoping there would be a quick solution.

thanks
            • 3. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
              KarenH
              ok...here is a simple application available in the workspace

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=4550:1:0:::::

workspace KARENH
              user: tester
              pwd: fish

page 9 contains the menu. The application does nothing except display the menu. Note that the menu selection PARTICIPANTS should contain one child...it does not show up. thanks
              • 4. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                fac586
                Karen
                the problem I have is that several of our lists have child/parent....so for example in the list below

PARTICIPANTS
                VESSELS
                DAILY MESSAGE

if I click on PARTICIPANTS my list should open as:

PARTICIPANTS
                --edit participant
                --manage participant
                VESSELS
                DAILY MESSAGE

but it does nothing. Any thoughts?
                The only way I can get child entries to appear in lists using the Vertical Unordered List with Bullets templates in themes 13 and 25 in APEX 4.1.1 or 4.2.1 is by editing the template to include Sublist Entry properties, which do not exist in the default template definition. Can you check the template in your original application and see if it's been customised to add Sublist support?
                • 5. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                  KarenH
                  thanks again. Do you know of any other type of navigational list that might offer something similar in terms of look/behavior?
                  • 6. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                    KarenH
                    in reviewing the application list in version 4.1 which uses theme 13, the list template for type DHTML BULLET TREE (note that this does not exist in template 25, so by default was copied to the verical unordered with bullet) does have entries for all the sublist areas.

what do you think? thanks again.
                    • 7. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                      fac586
                      KarenH wrote:
                      thanks again. Do you know of any other type of navigational list that might offer something similar in terms of look/behavior?
                      So you've no Sublist Entry properties in the original app's Vertical Unordered List with Bullets template?
                      • 8. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                        KarenH
                        no. sorry for the confusion.

The original app was written in 4.1. It uses navigational menu items with THEME 13, and template of DHTML Bullet List. That template does have entries for sub-lists.

When I moved that app into 4.2, we wanted to upgrade the theme to 25. Theme 25 does not have DHTML Bullet Lists, so it converted the list to VERTICAL UNORDERED BULLET LIST....but now I am unable to see the sub-entry list items.

does that make sense? thanks
                        • 9. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                          fac586
                          KarenH wrote:
                          no. sorry for the confusion.

The original app was written in 4.1. It uses navigational menu items with THEME 13, and template of DHTML Bullet List. That template does have entries for sub-lists.

When I moved that app into 4.2, we wanted to upgrade the theme to 25. Theme 25 does not have DHTML Bullet Lists, so it converted the list to VERTICAL UNORDERED BULLET LIST....but now I am unable to see the sub-entry list items.

does that make sense?
                          That makes more sense. The template change enforced by the theme switch wasn't obvious in the original post. It sounded like the Vertical Unordered List with Bullets template was used in both versions. (I can't find a "DHTML Bullet List" template in my APEX 4.1.1 environment though.)

As you can see from your sample app, I've had a bit of a list festival tonight (APEX really needs a decent way to preview templates...), which reveals that theme 25 is big on list types with big link targets, completely lacking in hierarchical list options. This may be due to its nature as a responsive framework suitable for use in both desktop and mobile touch-enabled browsers, where expanding multi-level lists might be too fiddly.

One option would be to copy a suitable template from another theme. I've copied the "Hierarchical Expanding" template from theme 26 into theme 25 in your app and added the relevant CSS from theme 26 in the page properties. This results in a usable (if unspectacular looking) navigation list.

I'm surprised there isn't anything more interesting in multilevel lists available in these new themes.
                          • 10. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                            KarenH
                            Oh my goodness! :)

you have been busy!

I agree, I wish there was a way to see the themes more accurately represented before I decide to move to them. Thank you for all your hard work on this!

In the meanwhile, I have copied the DHTL Bullet list from 4.1 and re-created it in 4.2.

It works in that it shows the child-sublist when I click on the parent sublist....but does not indent for each child (and I am stumped on how to get that to work).

I will play around some more....but again, really appreciate your help on this.
                            • 11. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                              fac586
                              KarenH wrote:
                              Oh my goodness! :)

you have been busy!

I agree, I wish there was a way to see the themes more accurately represented before I decide to move to them. Thank you for all your hard work on this!

In the meanwhile, I have copied the DHTL Bullet list from 4.1 and re-created it in 4.2.

It works in that it shows the child-sublist when I click on the parent sublist....but does not indent for each child (and I am stumped on how to get that to work).
                              That just needs some CSS. For the Hierarchical Expanding list I created that's
                              ul.dhtmlTree ul {
                                margin-left: 14px;
                                list-style: none;
                              }
                              • 12. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                                KarenH
                                thank you! but I am actually not certain where I should place that code?

ul.dhtmlTree ul {
                                margin-left: 14px;
                                list-style: none;
                                }

does it go in the template for the list? and if so, which section.... I have played around a bit, but no luck.
                                • 13. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                                  patfmnd

Hi,

I am having exactly the same issue--using theme 25 (responsive) and need to have a menu with drop-down sub menus. I checked your application which you still had available on apex.oracle.com but could not find a final working dropdown.  Would you be willing to share the final sample solution along with what changes were needed (or just point me to the places to look at in the sample.)

Thanks,

Pat

• 14. Re: vertical unordered lists w/bullets, 4.2 theme 25. child level doesn't open
                                    patfmnd

Hi,

In case you are interested, I found a great solution to drop down menus (accordian style) using Jquery--that works even with Theme 25.  Blog is located here:

Creating a jQuery Accordion-like navigation menu | APEXPLAINED

Nick was extremely responsive to my questions as you can see on the blog thread.   I have been looking for a solution for over a week and a half and FINALLY got a great and easily implemented solution!!  One of the best documented Blogs I have seen with a very clear downloadable demo!

Pat