5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 10:17 AM by user10697869 RSS

Image copies on tape with RMAN

skahlert
      Dear fellow dbas,

is it possible to create image copies of archivelogs with rman and store them on tape by specifiying the channel that is used by RMAN?

As far as I know, it is possible to create image copies on disk only. I need these files to stored on tape however, and want to avoid backupsets.

If you have an idea as to whether it'll work, please let me know!

Regards,

Seb
        • 1. Re: Image copies on tape with RMAN
          mseberg
          Hello;

BACKUP AS COPY can only be done to disk.

IMAGE COPY backup can only be made to disk. You can not take image copy backup to tape.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/rcmsynta007.htm#CHDEHBEJ

An image copy is a byte-for-byte identical copy of the original file. Image copy files can only exist on disk.

See - 4.1.2.1 About Image Copies - ( Oracle 10 )

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/bkup001.htm#i1034275

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmcncpt.htm#i1006661

See Chapter 5 of E10642-03 - under - "Configuring the Default Type for Backups: Backup Sets or Copies"

Exact quote :

Note: Because RMAN can write an image copy only to disk, the backup type for tape can only be a backup set.

So you can make the copy and then backup it up to tape as option.

Best Regards

mseberg
          • 2. Re: Image copies on tape with RMAN
            EdStevens
            skahlert wrote:
            Dear fellow dbas,

is it possible to create image copies of archivelogs with rman and store them on tape by specifiying the channel that is used by RMAN?

As far as I know, it is possible to create image copies on disk only. I need these files to stored on tape however, and want to avoid backupsets.
            Why do you want to avoid backupsets?

When someone asks for help and gives seemingly arbitrary requirements, it helps to know the reason for the requirement.
            If you have an idea as to whether it'll work, please let me know!
            No, it won't work. What business problem are you trying to solve? Instead of focusing on a pre-conceived solution, let's focus on the problem.

Regards,

Seb
            Edited by: EdStevens on Mar 8, 2013 7:06 AM
            • 3. Re: Image copies on tape with RMAN
              skahlert
              Sorry for my late reply guys! I almost lost track on that issue. Excuse me!

@ EdStevens

What business problem are you trying to solve?

I want to avoid backupsets, since their management seems a little complicated for our purpose. We need to be able to recover archives on the fly instead of querying RMAN and extracting them from those bkpsets.
              Right now we have a tool that is used to recover archive logs from tape. Since this tool will be obsolete and discontinued with 11gR2, we are looking for another option of storing archive logs.
              Due to the estimated size of approximately 50TB, we would have preferred to store them on tape instead on disk, since tape is cheeper.
              RMAN would have been an option since it manages the retention period for us and keeps track of all files in its catalogue.

The main reason why we want to avoid RMAN backupsets is the fact that we're restoring databases by cloning them on a daily basis.
              What happens if the incarnation of a source database has changed in the meanwhile and we still need some archives prior to that change. Will RMAN allow us to find the requiered archives nevertheless?

Regards,

Seb
              • 4. Re: Image copies on tape with RMAN
                EdStevens
                skahlert wrote:
                Sorry for my late reply guys! I almost lost track on that issue. Excuse me!

@ EdStevens

What business problem are you trying to solve?

I want to avoid backupsets, since their management seems a little complicated for our purpose. We need to be able to recover archives on the fly instead of querying RMAN and extracting them from those bkpsets.
                You don't have to "worry" about that. All you do is tell rman to 'restore' a database and 'recover' a database. It will take care of locating the need files (includeing archivelogs) from the necessary backupset and using them as needed.
                Right now we have a tool that is used to recover archive logs from tape. Since this tool will be obsolete and discontinued with 11gR2, we are looking for another option of storing archive logs.
                Due to the estimated size of approximately 50TB, we would have preferred to store them on tape instead on disk, since tape is cheeper.
                RMAN would have been an option since it manages the retention period for us and keeps track of all files in its catalogue.

The main reason why we want to avoid RMAN backupsets is the fact that we're restoring databases by cloning them on a daily basis.
                What happens if the incarnation of a source database has changed in the meanwhile and we still need some archives prior to that change. Will RMAN allow us to find the required archives nevertheless?
                yes, rman can find the archives. And at a certain release (I forget exactly which), yes rman will do a recovery through an incarnation (resetlogs) change. You avoid using rman because you assume it can't do something, yet assume other alternatives will.
                >
                Regards,

Seb
                You are unnecessarily avoiding the facilities of rman from a position of ignorance regarding its use and capabilities. It really is the best possible tool to meet your requirements. You simply need to learn how to use it. That's part of your job as a DBA. In fact I dare say it is the most important part of your job as a DBA.
                • 5. Re: Image copies on tape with RMAN
                  user10697869

what is that tool?

dont you take incremental backups?