13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 4:08 PM by O.Developer RSS

Report over multiple pages

christm31
      Hi

I have a report which is mixture of text and fields. There is one main text box within it which will take the report from 1 page to 2 pages. At the moment the report is running ok but is only showing the first page and cutting the text box off where the page runs out.
      The report runs for 300 people so I'm getting 300 pages (1 page for each person) where I should be getting 600 pages (2 pages for each person).
      Is there a way to automatically make the report go onto a 2nd page because the text box is large enough to force it to do that?
      All my frames are 'Variable' for Veritcal elasticity.

Thanks

Martin
        • 1. Re: Report over multiple pages
          InoL
          I bet there is one that is not variable. Both the item and all frames surrounding it should have the Variable property.
          • 2. Re: Report over multiple pages
            christm31
            Sorry for delay - been off ill.
            If I expand the Layout model fully, I see the following -
            M_G_NAME_GRPFR
            R_G_NAME
            B_1 - Image
            B_11 - Text

All of them (except B_1 which doesn't have that option) have 'Variable' set.

Is there anywhere else to look for something I might be missing?

Thanks

Martin
            • 3. Re: Report over multiple pages
              christm31
              Please ignore this - I think I have it working.
              I think one frame was set to pring on all pages rather than only on first page.

Martin
              • 4. Re: Report over multiple pages
                christm31
                Hi

Thanks for the help in replies above.
                I've got the majority of the reports working - I do however have 2 issues.
                To clarify - I have written a couple of reports which are basically letters with one large text box with some integrated fields.
                All these reports are based on a repeating frame so will actually bring back multiple letters within each report.
                One of the reports is only one page long but the others go over many pages.
                This means that for these reports, when the report is in layout mode, I don't actually see all of the text box - when I click to edit it, it bring it all up but I can't see the full thing in layout.

I now need to add 2 things -
                1. An imported file of a signature to the bottom of each letter
                2. A footed at the bottom of each letter.

My issues with the signature are: the signature needs to go in my text box - i.e. there is text before and text after it. For the one page letter I can just overlay the imported signature over the text box at the correct area and it works. However for the ones that are more than 1 page, I can't do that as I can't see the bottom part of the letter in layout in order to do it.

For the footer my issue is that when I put a footer in the report, it only prints at the end of the report, rather than the end of each letter,

Could you please advise how I might get round these issues?

Thanks

Martin
                • 5. Re: Report over multiple pages
                  InoL
                  the signature needs to go in my text box
                  That won't work in your 2nd situation. You need to split the text in 2 parts so you get
                  field with text part 1
                  field with signature
                  field with text part 2
                  I put a footer in the report, it only prints at the end of the report
                  Depends on what you call the footer. If that is the Trailer Section: this section is printed after the main section, so at the end of the report.
                  If it is a field in the margin of the report, then check if there is a format trigger on the object.
                  • 6. Re: Report over multiple pages
                    christm31
                    Thanks for the reply.
                    Looking at the signature issue - I thought if I uploaded the image file to a database table, I could reference it through the report by using the &<signature> within the text box (assuming my colunm was called signature).

However when I do that, the output I get where the image file should be on the report is ÿØÿà
                    Is there any way around this?

Thanks

Martin
                    • 7. Re: Report over multiple pages
                      InoL
                      I could reference it through the report by using the &<signature> within the text box
                      You cannot do that, because it only works for text, not images.
                      • 8. Re: Report over multiple pages
                        christm31
                        OK Then - any ideas how I might do it.
                        It needs to repeat for each letter within the report so I'm guessing needs to be in the repeating frame.
                        Everything is fine when the letter is just 1 page long and so the signature is on it but if it's more than 1 page, I just get errors about how it can't fit within the frame.

So I guess the question is:
                        If I have a report which produces a series of letters through a repeating frame, and at the bottom of each letter (which would be on page 2) I need a signature which is held as an image file (and also held as an image in a table on the database) - how can I do this?

Thanks

Martin
                        • 9. Re: Report over multiple pages
                          InoL
                          and also held as an image in a table on the database
                          Just select it in your data model like any other column. Same way, put it in the layout like any other field (except that this is now an image item).
                          • 10. Re: Report over multiple pages
                            christm31
                            Have tried that
                            It works perfectly if I put the field within the 1st page of the 2 page letter.
                            But if I put it where it needs to go, which is on the 2nd page of the 2 page letter, I get a message saying 'REP-1814: Report cannot be formatted. Object 'vertically' can never fit within 'F_SIGNATURE''

Martin
                            • 11. Re: Report over multiple pages
                              InoL
                              I can only say this: check your layout. Especially the vertical elasticity of all fields and frames, check if you placed the signature in the correct repeating frame with the correct "print object on" property etc.
                              • 12. Re: Report over multiple pages
                                christm31
                                There's only 1 repeating frame so I'm not sure why it would work if placed in the 1st page of the letter rather than the 2nd?
                                I have 1 frame, 1 repeating frame and 1 text block
                                They are all set to
                                Vertical Elasticity - Variable
                                Horizontal Elasticity - Fixed
                                Print Object on - First Page
                                Base Printing on - Enclosing Object

The frame has Keep with anchoring object set to No but the repeating frame has it set to Yes

Thanks

Martin
                                • 13. Re: Report over multiple pages
                                  O.Developer
                                  HI,

If i understood what you have provided, it looks like you need to have multiple page(2 * 300 = 600). Actually we have done this on our projects but four pages per employee.
                                  You can look at below link, i

http://appslearner.blogspot.com/2013/02/multi-page-layout-in-oralce-reports.html

Still if you have questions, post here.

christm31 wrote:
                                  Hi

I have a report which is mixture of text and fields. There is one main text box within it which will take the report from 1 page to 2 pages. At the moment the report is running ok but is only showing the first page and cutting the text box off where the page runs out.
                                  The report runs for 300 people so I'm getting 300 pages (1 page for each person) where I should be getting 600 pages (2 pages for each person).
                                  Is there a way to automatically make the report go onto a 2nd page because the text box is large enough to force it to do that?

Thanks

Martin