6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 7:55 PM by user109928376 RSS

substitution variable

user109928376
      I am using a substitution variable to hold multiple members. This variable will be used in web forms and calc scripts. The business rules/calc scripts have no issue. The webform will not open when the varlable is used.

If the variable is "member1", I have no problems.

As soon as I change it to "member1","member2", it will not open.

The error is "A substitution variable required for this calculation is undefined. Variable: +variablename+

Has anybody had any success using multiple members in a variable used in a web form?
        • 1. Re: substitution variable
          ss1988
          Hi,

You cannot provide multiple values to single substitution variable. If you want that a variable can contain multiple values then you can use User Variable.

Request you to please look into the below links

for Substitution variable - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/hp_admin/frameset.htm?ch07s05.html

For user variable- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/hp_admin/frameset.htm?ch07s05.html

Hope this helps.

Regards
          SST.....

Edited by: ss1988 on Mar 9, 2013 11:14 PM
          • 2. Re: substitution variable
            Hi,

I am on version 11.1.2.1

You can provide multiple values to substitution variables however such variables can't be used in data forms.
            You won't get any issues when you are using the same in BRs and Calc Scripts.

Said this you can functions such as Descendants, ILvl0Descendants, etc with a substitution variable to get range in web form using a single substitution variable.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
            -SM
            • 3. Re: substitution variable
              Avneet
              Suggestion :

It will be better to use "User Variable" in your Planning web-forms which will give you one extra advantage in Managing your security within web-form and try to keep substitution variable separated from your Web-from.
              Substitution Variable cannot hold multiple values in web-form though they work properly in BR's and Calcscript when multiple values are assigned to them.

Regards,
              • 4. Re: substitution variable
                user109928376
                Thanks for all the feedback. I am aware of all those options, but was hoping somebody had a trick to substitution variables.
                • 5. Re: substitution variable
                  I have always created alternate hierarchies to manage this. A flat list can be referenced by DESC. This works in both calc scripts and web forms.
                  • 6. Re: substitution variable
                    user109928376
                    That sounds like a great idea.