12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 12:26 PM by Mihael RSS

RAC on vmware virtual hosts

I wanted to know if Oracle Database RAC is supported on vmware by Oracle. Below url, is 2 years old, clearly says Oracle does not support RAC on virtualized hosts (VMware virtual hosts)

http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/2240020938/Oracle-RAC-on-VMware-gets-no-support-from-Oracle

What is the current Oracle support for RAC on vmware vitualized hosts?
        • 1. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
          damorgan
          No. Totally unsupported. A reasonable expectation is that it will never be supported.

This should help:
          http://www.morganslibrary.org/reference/virtualization.html
          • 2. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
            Billy~Verreynne
            992927 wrote:
            I wanted to know if Oracle Database RAC is supported on vmware by Oracle. Below url, is 2 years old, clearly says Oracle does not support RAC on virtualized hosts (VMware virtual hosts)

http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/2240020938/Oracle-RAC-on-VMware-gets-no-support-from-Oracle

What is the current Oracle support for RAC on vmware vitualized hosts?
            I've got a 2 node RAC and iscsi storage server running at home in VMs on an AMD Bulldozer system. So yes, it does work. Question is though, why (if not for R&D)?

That said, last year the Oracle RAC VP had a look at what we are doing with RAC and we discussed, amongst other things, virtualisation (our IT dept uses UCS a lot). As I understand, if you run Oracle (RAC) on a certified o/s and that is virtualised, support will be there as long as there is no doubt that the errors do not originate from virtualisation.

But I would not go there. For redundancy and high availability you will need to run the VM RAC nodes across h/w or blade, boundaries. Just how well does a virtualised Interconnect scale in that case? We are running RDS over QDR (40Gb) Infiniband - which is basically the baseline Interconnect for RAC today (standard technology, used by Oracle too). I do not see how a virtualised Interconnect running over multiple blades using 10Gb Ethernet, can compare.
            • 3. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
              Eddie Essex
              Yep...VMware is not supported although it can be done. Attention needs to be paid to licensing if this is not for development purposes.

You can use other virtualisation software though:
              http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/virtualizationmatrix-172995.html#LINUXx86notesOVM
              • 4. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                You can configure RAC on VMs , i have done but not sure if oracle recommends it or not .
                It is wise to run separate nodes as separate servers .
                • 5. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                  Levi Pereira
                  Oracle words: Be aware that Oracle will not support you if the issue is caused by VMWARE Software. i.e Oracle will only provide support for issues that either are known to occur on the native OS tested in Physical Machine.

*Support Position for Oracle Products Running on VMWare Virtualized Environments [ID 249212.1]*

Instead virtualize RAC to achieve HA, why not use SINGLE Database Instance and VMOTION of VMWARE to provide HA.

About RAC Performance on Virtualized Env sharing with others virtual host I still believe is not a best option, because RAC/Clusterware is more sensitive to bad performance. (split-brain occurs due I/O or CPU starvation).
                  • 6. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                    damorgan
                    Just a quick note based on the following:
                     For redundancy and high availability you will need to run the VM RAC nodes across h/w or blade, boundaries
                    I have never seen a stable high performance RAC system built on blade servers. The minimum requirement to eliminate single points of failure is redundant NIC ports for the public interface, redundant NIC or HBA interfaces to storage, and redundant GigE or InfiniBand supporting the cache fusion interconnect.

You can not get six separate independent interfaces on any blade system I have ever seen without resorting to virtualization and Oracle Support has very specific advise with respect to the the use of virtualization for the interconnect: "Don't." And my experience supports that statement.
                    • 7. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      damorgan wrote:
                      Just a quick note based on the following:
                      For redundancy and high availability you will need to run the VM RAC nodes across h/w or blade, boundaries
                      I have never seen a stable high performance RAC system built on blade servers. The minimum requirement to eliminate single points of failure is redundant NIC ports for the public interface, redundant NIC or HBA interfaces to storage, and redundant GigE or InfiniBand supporting the cache fusion interconnect.
                      Exactly why you want to have the VMs across h/w boundaries, which raises the question why virtualise then? A virtualised bonded interface running over a single physical interface would just be silly.
                      You can not get six separate independent interfaces on any blade system I have ever seen without resorting to virtualization and Oracle Support has very specific advise with respect to the the use of virtualization for the interconnect: "Don't." And my experience supports that statement.
                      We were asked to consider using UCS a while back and said yes - if that means we get bare metal. But no, they want us to use VMs. Pushed back listing numerous reasons, requested that we be given lab access to UCS for creating and testing a 4 node virtualised RAC. And have not heard much since. (in the meantime we have just build another 3 node RAC on new HP and Infiniband kit)

I would be very hesitant to jump onto the virtualised bandwagon with RAC for anything else than plain R&D.
                      • 8. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                        Mihael
                        It is interesting that SAP which runs on Oracle, supports vmware.

http://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/sap_fullsupport.html
                        • 9. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                          Billy~Verreynne
                          Mihael wrote:

So? Not really relevant as Oracle database also supports virtualisation (running in a VM).

However, running a cluster in a virtualised environment is a very different ballgame all together - and cannot be compared to systems where issues like an Interconnect layer (essentially sharing server memory across cluster nodes) does not exist.

Nor is h/w high availability addressed. As I've already mentioned, how do you virtualise 2 physical NICs being used a single bonded NIC, wired to two different switches?

Virtualisation is about using hardware as multiple configurable VMs.

Clustering is about using multiple hardware as a single computing system.

The goals are in direct conflict.
                          • 10. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                            Mihael

So? Not really relevant as Oracle database also supports virtualisation (running in a VM).
                            But RAC is supported on Oracle VM. As for Vmware, even single-instance is not supported.
                            • 11. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                              Billy~Verreynne
                              Which is why I said, that unofficially, as I understand from what a senior Oracle exec said when we discussed this, that if we run VMware, with Oracle on a certified o/s in that VM, they will not deny us support - unless they think that the root cause is VMware.

This raise the issue that Oracle support can decide just to simply point at VMware as the problem from the start and say "sorry". That is the risk you take using VMware and not Oracle's certified VM s/w stack.

So if you want full "unrestricted" Oracle support, best to use a completely certified stack - but that does not mean that if the bottom layer in the stack is not the right flavour, you would be denied any and all support. As I understand it.
                              • 12. Re: RAC on vmware virtual hosts
                                Mihael
                                Yes, agree.
                                As for SAP, their customers uses Support from SAP in case of database issues, not Oracle Support. If SAP supports Vmware, they will have database support also.