1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 6:43 AM by CKPT

Data Protection Mode

Hello,

1) In order to set Data protection mode, do I need to set anything on standby?

2) My database is in Maximum Performance mode. I set up following entry on init.ora:
      LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2=’service=standby LGWR ASYNC’.

I want to change data guard protection mode from Max Performance to Max Protection. For that i have changed from the "ASYNC" attribute to "SYNC" attribute of the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n initialization parameter like:

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2=’service=standby LGWR SYNC’.

But I have not changed the protection mode on the primary database using “alter database set standby database to maximize protection”.

Does it continue as Max Performance mode or will it throw any error?
        • 1. Re: Data Protection Mode
          CKPT
          1) In order to set Data protection mode, do I need to set anything on standby?
          You have to take care only in primary LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameter, If you changed protection mode of course it will be taken care.
          But dont forget to check on standby if you have configured anything on LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameter[if you perform switchover in future], usually it will left blank.

2) My database is in Maximum Performance mode. I set up following entry on init.ora:
          LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2=’service=standby LGWR ASYNC’.
          I want to change data guard protection mode from Max Performance to Max Protection. For that i have changed from the "ASYNC" attribute to "SYNC" attribute of the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n initialization parameter like:

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2=’service=standby LGWR SYNC’.

But I have not changed the protection mode on the primary database using “alter database set standby database to maximize protection”.

Does it continue as Max Performance mode or will it throw any error?
          Similar discussion, You can check this link what happens if you set LGWR & SYNC in maximum performance mode :)
          using LGWR SYNC with Max Performance