2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 8:07 AM by P.Forstmann RSS

Three basic questions on oracleasm

GarryB
      Grid Infrastructure version: 11.2.0.3
      3-node RAC

Platform: RHEL 5.4

For role separation, we have created grid and oracle users.
      grid      ----------> to manage Grid Infra which includes ASM
      oracle      ----------> to manage RDBMS
      I gather that gurus prefer udev rules list to ASMlib. But my shop uses ASMlib , so I have no other choice but to use ASMlib.

Before I add LUNs to disk group, I need create ASM disks using the following commands
      Step1.
      oracleasm config   # it will asks for who needs to be owned these disks

Step2.

oracleasm createdisk <diskname> <diskpath/name>  # create on one node  and scandisk on other nodes

Question1.
      Who should be running oracleasm commands? root user or grid user?

Question2.
      I see oracleasm binary available in */usr/sbin* and */etc/init.d* directories. Which one should I use?
      As you can see below , the oracleasm binary available in /usr/sbin is not a soft link of oracleasm binary available in /etc/init.d
      $ which oracleasm
      /usr/sbin/oracleasm
      $
      $ ls -alrt /usr/sbin/oracleasm
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16600 Mar 19  2009 /usr/sbin/oracleasm
      $
      $
      $ ls -alrt /etc/init.d/oracleasm
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6692 Mar 19  2009 /etc/init.d/oracleasm
      Question3.
      Step1 which I've mentioned above ie. oracleasm config is a one-off activity. ie. I have to set the following only once. Right?
      Default user to own the driver interface []: grid
      Default group to own the driver interface []: asmadmin
      Start Oracle ASM library driver on boot (y/n) [n]: y
      Scan for Oracle ASM disks on boot (y/n) [y]: y
        • 1. Re: Three basic questions on oracleasm
          Billy~Verreynne
          GarryB wrote:

Question2.
          I see oracleasm binary available in */usr/sbin* and */etc/init.d* directories. Which one should I use?
          As you can see below , the oracleasm binary available in /usr/sbin is not a soft link of oracleasm binary available in /etc/init.d
          Do not use ASMlib, so cannot provide definitive answers to question 1 and 3.

Question 2 however deals with standard Unix/Linux features.

The "stuff" in +/etc/init.d/+ is startup and shutdown scripts, used for service management. In RHEL Linux, the +/etc/rc.x+ directories specifies the services for a specific runlevel - and these are typically symbolic links to the service script in +/etc/init.d/+.

It is seldom that you would directly run a service via the command line. Services are usually configured with the service and chkconfig commands.

The "stuff" in +/usr/sbin+ is non-essential system binaries - system commands/utilities that (as I understand) are not needed when booting into single user mode to fix stuff.

So oracleasm in +/etc/init.d+ is not the same as the one in +/usr/sbin+.
          • 2. Re: Three basic questions on oracleasm
            P.Forstmann
            1. User account to be used is root.
            3. oracleasm config step must be run once on each cluster node.