3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 7:09 PM by RickG RSS

Public facing website built on Apex and performance

Hi,

Great if someone can guide me on below query

1. Oracle Cloud does not allow as of now to point our private domains to application built on Oracle Cloud; does any body know when this facility will be made available? Not exact dates needed however in couple of months of in this year or next year?

2. If lets say my web page size is 200 KB, and its a public facing web page build on Oracle Database Cloud Database S5 on Oracle Apex; how many simultaneous users can open this web page through out the world in a second. In general want to understand the bandwidth which we will get for apps hosted on Oracle Cloud. And is it a right platform to host a salesportal. For approx 1000 simultaneous users seeing website webpage of 200KB in 1 second is Cloud right platform?

Thanks,
      Nilesh
        • 1. Re: Public facing website built on Apex and performance
          RickG
          Nilesh -

Thank you for your interest in the Oracle Database Cloud. As far as your questions go -

+1. Oracle Cloud does not allow as of now to point our private domains to application built on Oracle Cloud; does any body know when this facility will be made available? Not exact dates needed however in couple of months of in this year or next year?+

We do not give date guidance for new features of the Oracle Database or the Database Cloud. However, having said that, I can tell you that this enhancement request is both very common and at the top of our list. We have begun work on implementing a solution, and would expect to see this in this calendar year.

+2. If lets say my web page size is 200 KB, and its a public facing web page build on Oracle Database Cloud Database S5 on Oracle Apex; how many simultaneous users can open this web page through out the world in a second. In general want to understand the bandwidth which we will get for apps hosted on Oracle Cloud. And is it a right platform to host a salesportal. For approx 1000 simultaneous users seeing website webpage of 200KB in 1 second is Cloud right platform?+

Thankfully, this is an easy question, with the same answer as every other performance question - "It depends". But I suspect you want something a bit more exact, which is not going to possible in this forum. Performance questions always depend on the supporting environment, as performance is limited by a bottleneck anywhere in the process flow. When one portion of that process is the public Internet, it would be foolish to try and give any real guidance to exact performance stats. That is why no Cloud vendor (that I know of) has anything like an SLA for performance.

I can tell you that one production customer for the Oracle Database Cloud did some testing on their trial, and they were able to support 1,500 users concurrently, with bandwidth consumption of about 350 Mps with a CRM-like application. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will be able to achieve the same results. All I can recommend is that you create a test harness and see how your system would perform.

Hope this helps.

- Rick Greenwald

Edited by: RickG on Mar 12, 2013 7:47 AM
          • 2. Re: Public facing website built on Apex and performance
            Thanks Rick for quick response.

Great to know about your answer on my 1st question

On 2nd question I understood your point clearly; so only option which I have is to create a test environment on cloud and try whether it suits my requirement. however should I assume if I create my test environment on Oracle Cloud and whatever result I get will be consistent through out the period of hosting? or this result will not be consistent. I see 2 factors which will affect the performance

1. If number of hosting schema increases after my test on same server
            2. If existing hosting schema load/ usage is increased after my test

Is there something Oracle will monitor the usage per schema wise/ per cloud user wise; is there any limit set?

Thanks.

Regards,
            Nilesh
            • 3. Re: Public facing website built on Apex and performance
              RickG
              Nilesh -

The white paper on performance and the Database Cloud addresses your questions. You can find it under Resources at cloud.oracle.com, or here - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-cloud/public/performance-wp-1844129.pdf

- Rick Greenwald