This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 8:39 AM by Rob_J RSS

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT in DATA GUARD

user9085814 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

when can i use the below scenario in Data gurad (standby parameter file) ?

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT='<DB_UNIQUE_NAME of PRIMARY>','<DB_UNIQUE_NAME of STANDBY>'
LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT='<DB_UNIQUE_NAME of PRIMARY>','<DB_UNIQUE_NAME of STANDBY>'

Thanks
  • 1. Re: DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT in DATA GUARD
    Rob_J Journeyer
    Hi,

When you put "<DB_UNIQUE_NAME of PRIMARY>" if you mean just the DB name and not the full path, then you would use this when the path on your standby has the db unique name in it and the only difference in your path on the standby is that the db unique name is that of the standby. For example:

Primary DB File path (db unique name PROD)

D:\Oracle\Oradata\PROD\data_01\users_001.dbf'

Standby DB File path (db unique name STBY)

D:\Oracle\Oradata\STBY\data_01\users_001.dbf'

That's my interpretation anyway. What are you trying to do?
    Rob
  • 2. Re: DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT in DATA GUARD
    user9085814 Newbie
    Hi Rob ,

Thanks for the responce .

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/create_ps.htm

I raised my issue becoz i saw the below parameters in the above link

FAL_SERVER=boston
    FAL_CLIENT=chicago
    DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT='boston','chicago'
    LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=
    '/arch1/boston/','/arch1/chicago/','/arch2/boston/','/arch2/chicago/'
    STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT=AUTO

I just wanted to know , on which scenario the DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT paremeter can have DB_UNIQUE_NAME as its value
  • 3. Re: DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT in DATA GUARD
    Rob_J Journeyer
    Hi,

No worries. In the same doc it states:
    Specify the path name and filename location of the primary database datafiles followed by the standby location. This parameter converts the path names of the primary database datafiles to the standby datafile path names. If the standby database is on the same system as the primary database or if the directory structure where the datafiles are located on the standby site is different from the primary site, then this parameter is required. Note that this parameter is used only to convert path names for physical standby databases. Multiple pairs of paths may be specified by this parameter.
    I've got data guard running on two sites which are physically separate to the primary site. At one site we have the same paths for the data files so we have nothing for the db_file_name_convert parameter. At the other site we have different paths so we specify the full path of the primary, followed by the full path of the standby. Just the way that I have in the example above.

Have you configured your standby yet? If I were you I would keep the file paths the same if possible. It leads to fewer issues in the long run. If that's not possible, for whatever reason, put the full path of the primary followed by the full path of the standby.

Hope that makes sense?
    Rob
  • 4. Re: DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT in DATA GUARD
    Rob_J Journeyer
    Please mark as answered if it is so.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points