This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2013 12:03 AM by 844b00f8-ab7d-41d2-bc0f-a3a65fb714e5 RSS

Registering Existing Server on new ODSEE 11.1.1.7 DSCC

user12614663 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
The DSCC from 11.1.1.5 allowed you to register existing servers and gave you the option to add a new host and use a different port. I am running DSCC on one machine and would like to register and monitor all my servers from this one DSCC GUI. It makes it really easy to verify that all my servers are up and running by looking at the list of all my local and remote directory servers. I just installed 11.1.1.7 and went to register an existing server. It only defaults to the local host and port 3779 and you cannot change it or add a new remote host. Does this mean with 11.1.1.7, you can only create and register servers on the local host that DSCC is running? If there is a new way to do it, I could not find it in the documentation. Any help would be appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Registering Existing Server on new ODSEE 11.1.1.7 DSCC
    Marco Milo Journeyer
    Hello,
    with 11.1.1.7 now the role of cacao is taken by the agents, which means that you can still continue to monitor everything from a single point (this is the purpose of DSCC!), but to enable the creation/management of instances on remote servers/machines you first need to register the agent FROM the remote machine.

So let's make a 'concept' install on 2 hosts:

1) Install the binaries on both HOST_A and HOST_B
    2) Create the DSCC registry on HOST_A
    3) Create dscc7.war on HOST_A
    4) Deploy DSCC on a WebContainer on HOST_A [Tomcat 7 ... works great and takes 2 minutes to get installed ;-) ]
    5) Create the DSCC agent on HOST_A and register it on DSCC on HOST_A
    6) Create the DSCC agent on HOST_B and register it on DSCC on HOST_A (use the -h option)
    7) Start the agent on HOST_A
    8) Start the agent on HOST_B

... And now you can connect to DSCC and manage everything from there

HTH,
    Marco

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29127_01/doc.111170/e28973/installing--dsee.htm#install-software
  • 2. Re: Registering Existing Server on new ODSEE 11.1.1.7 DSCC
    998575 Newbie
    Hi Marco,

seems to be easy, the problem is that the dsccreg command doesn't really recognize the -h option:

user@host1:/opt/oracle/dsee7/bin> dsccreg add-agent -h host2
    Agent path: /opt/oracle/dsee7/var/dcc/agent
    Enter DSCC agent "/opt/oracle/dsee7/var/dcc/agent" password: *****
    Agent /opt/oracle/dsee7/var/dcc/agent is already registered in DSCC registry on: host1.domain.tld (3998/3999)
    Agent could not been registered twice.
    user@host1:/opt/oracle/dsee7/bin>

SLES 11, SP2

Regards

Edited by: 995572 on 22.03.2013 05:52
  • 3. Re: Registering Existing Server on new ODSEE 11.1.1.7 DSCC
    Marco Milo Journeyer
    Hi,
    In my test environment it works nicely... so I'm just wondering which could be the differences.

Could you please describe in detail the sequence of command you used?

thanks,
    Marco
  • 4. Re: Registering Existing Server on new ODSEE 11.1.1.7 DSCC
    bobm53 Explorer
    It seems the agent is still registered in the registry.
    Try do unregister with "force":
    dsccreg remove-agent -h <dscc-server> -f [AGENT_PATH]
    and then retry to register.
    HTH
  • 5. Re: Registering Existing Server on new ODSEE 11.1.1.7 DSCC
    998575 Newbie
    Thanks for the hint. It was not the problem to use "force" to remove the agent. Its simply not possible to register the agent to two dscc-servers at the same time. That was not clear for me so while trying to install two DSCCs on two servers and register the agent to both dscc-servers it allways gave me the error that its already registered locally. For me it seems that it doesn't recognize the option "-h" and that it allways tries to register it on the same host where I was running 'dsccreg add-agent...'.

Thanks, it works now.
    Regards!

bwt. I have no idea where to enter the post as "correct" or "helpfull"...

Edited by: 995572 on 27.03.2013 10:06
  • 6. Re: Registering Existing Server on new ODSEE 11.1.1.7 DSCC
    ravi shah-2083557 Newbie
    Does it mean that we cannot have multiple DSCC console in the environment? In previous version there was no such limit and we could have multiple DSCC console for the redundancy purpose.
  • 7. Re: Registering Existing Server on new ODSEE 11.1.1.7 DSCC
    844b00f8-ab7d-41d2-bc0f-a3a65fb714e5 Newbie

Multiple DSCC environment is possible.

I did it in this way:

1) Unzip the binaries on both HOST_A and HOST_B

2) Create the DSCC registry on HOST_A

3) Create the DSCC agent on HOST_A and register it on DSCC on HOST_A

4) Create the DSCC agent on HOST_B and register it on DSCC on HOST_A (use the -h option)

5) Start the agent on HOST_A

6) Start the agent on HOST_B

7) Create dscc7.war on HOST_A

8) Deploy DSCC on a WebContainer on HOST_A

9) Create the DSCC registry on HOST_B

10) Create the DSCC agent on HOST_B and register it on DSCC on HOST_B (it will use a different port)

11) Create the DSCC agent on HOST_A and register it on DSCC on HOST_B (use the -h option)

12) Start the new agent on HOST_A

13) Start the new agent on HOST_B

14) Create dscc7.war on HOST_B

15) Deploy DSCC on a WebContainer on HOST_B

My config looks like this:

HOST_A

bash-3.00# /opt/dsee7/bin/dsccreg list-agents

Enter DSCC administrator's password:

Hostname      Port  Certificate  Type        Owner  Flags  iPath                     Description

------------  ----  -----------  ----------  -----  -----  ------------------------  -----------

opensso-dev1  3997  undefined    DSCC_AGENT  root   -      /opt/dsee7/var/dcc/agent  -

opensso-dev2  3997  undefined    DSCC_AGENT  root   -      /opt/dsee7/var/dcc/agent  -

2 agent(s) displayed

bash-3.00#

HOST_B

bash-3.00# /opt/dsee7/bin/dsccreg list-agents

Enter DSCC administrator's password:

Hostname      Port  Certificate  Type        Owner  Flags  iPath                      Description

------------  ----  -----------  ----------  -----  -----  -------------------------  -----------

opensso-dev1  7995  undefined    DSCC_AGENT  root   -      /opt/dsee7/var/dcc/agent2  -

opensso-dev2  7995  undefined    DSCC_AGENT  root   -      /opt/dsee7/var/dcc/agent2  -

2 agent(s) displayed

bash-3.00#

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points