10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 11:34 PM by HamidHelal RSS

Installation Suite 10g in a home PC

apollon27
      Although I have installed Forms/Reports 11gR2, in my home computer,
      is it possible to install Oracle Developer Suite 10g 10.1.2.0.2?
      Windows 7 64-bit?

Because when I try,
      "Install has encountered an error while attempting to verify your Virtual Machine settings. Please verify that the sum of the initial sizes of the paging files is at least 256 MB."

I basically want to run Report Builder 10g only, to convert some rdfs from DevReport 2.1 to Rep 10g.

Thank you very much.
        • 1. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
          carlos cortez
          Hi,

If you have the patch to developer 10.1.2.3, install developer 10.1.2.0.2 with 10.1.2.3 installer. This is needed because 10.1.2.0.2 is not certified with Windows 7 but 10.1.2.3 is certified.

When it ask you for the path file of the product (product.xml) change it for 10.1.2.0.2 product.xml also set manually a custom size for virtual memory otherwise it will throw you an error when installing.

If you have access to MOS look for the note:
          How to Install Developer Suite 10.1.2.3 on Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32bit) [ID 559067.1]

Hope this helps you :)

Regards
          Carlos
          • 2. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
            HamidHelal
            apollon27 wrote:
            Although I have installed Forms/Reports 11gR2, in my home computer,
            Windows 7 64-bit?

Because when I try,
            "Install has encountered an error while attempting to verify your Virtual Machine settings. Please verify that the sum of the initial sizes of the paging files is at least 256 MB."
            A swap file, also called a page file, is an area on the hard drive used for temporary storage of information. Windows uses the swap file to improve performance.

To view your current swap file information in Windows 7

From the Start menu, right-click My Computer or Computer, and then select Properties.

Note: If this doesn't match what you see, refer to About navigation settings in Windows.
            From the Tasks menu, select Advanced system settings.

In the dialog box that opens, click the Advanced tab. Under the "Performance" section, select Settings... .

In the Performance Options dialog box, select the Advanced tab.

Click Change... . The swap file information is listed at the bottom.

Hope this Helps

Hamid
            • 3. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
              CraigB
              Windows 7 64-bit?>
              Yes, it is possible. I have the Oracle Developer Suite (ODS) 10g R1 (10.1.2.x.x) installed and running on my Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). There are a few steps you need to follow in order to install the ODS successfully.
              1. Right-click on the ODS Installer and select properties. Click the Compatability tab and "Check" the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or 3)."
              2. While still in the properties screen, select the "Run this program as an Administrator." Now you can apply the changes and close the properties screen.
              Because when I try,
              "Install has encountered an error while attempting to verify your Virtual Machine settings. Please verify that the sum of the initial sizes of the paging files is at least 256 MB.">
              3. The ODS installer has a bug and doesn't recognize "System Managed Virtual Memory." This why you are getting this error. Consequently, you need to update the Windows Virtual Memory (VM) settings and specify a specific amount. To do this, run the System Control Panel applet and click on Advanced. In the performance region - click the Settings button. In the Performantion Options page, click the "Advanced" button. In the VM section, click the "Change" button and set the following properties: a) Uncheck - "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives." b) Select drive C; Click the Custom Size radio button; Set the initial size to: 2046, set Max Size to: 3072; click OK save changes and allow your computer to reboot. Please refer to Microsoft's Change the size of virtual memory article if you have questions on this.
              4. You are installing a 32-bit program, therefore, you will need to install the 32-bit JRE as well. You can have both 32 and 64 bit JRE's installed.
              5. Run the ODS installer and it should complete successfully. If it doesn't - let us know.

Hope this helps.
              Craig...
              • 4. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
                apollon27
                Hello again,

I did what GraigB said, and the installation moved forward a little more. (dos window told me All installer requirements met)
                Path: c:\DevSuiteHome_1
                Installation Type: Complete 1.13 GB , "Next"

Provide Outgoing Mail Server Information (SMTP),

If I leave it blank, or write something, then it the bar moves a little ( I think writes Ocj instance ) and the installation stops, disappears.

Thank you very much.
                • 5. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
                  HamidHelal
                  apollon27 wrote:
                  Hello again,

I did what GraigB said, and the installation moved forward a little more. (dos window told me All installer requirements met)
                  Path: c:\DevSuiteHome_1
                  Installation Type: Complete 1.13 GB , "Next"

Provide Outgoing Mail Server Information (SMTP),

If I leave it blank, or write something, then it the bar moves a little ( I think writes Ocj instance ) and the installation stops, disappears.
                  Leave it blank. and try..
                  for more contact with me via my profile mail address..
                  • 6. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
                    apollon27
                    I leave it blank, but again the same.
                    I have not installed JRE 32-bit yet. Is this the problem?
                    Or the problem might be that I have installed Forms/Reports 11gR2 as well? Should I remove it?

Is there a log file?

Thank you a lot.
                    • 7. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
                      HamidHelal
                      apollon27 wrote:
                      I leave it blank, but again the same.
                      Or the problem might be that I have installed Forms/Reports 11gR2 as well? Should I remove it?
                      Ahh! you first remove 11gR2 from the machine and install 10gR2 then install 11gR2 in separate folder.
                      Is there a log file?
                      drive_letter(C):\DevSuiteHome_1\install
                      Hope this helps
                      • 8. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
                        CraigB
                        Yes, definately uninstall 11g and delete the directories, PATH (only the entries added by the 11g installation) and registry keys created by the installation. It is always best to install the older Oracle Product before installing newer products.
                        Referring to my previous post, you need to complete step 4 (Install 32 bit JRE) before you complete step 5 (install the ODS).

Craig...

Edited by: CraigB on Mar 18, 2013 2:09 PM
                        • 9. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
                          apollon27
                          Install 32 bit JRE is there a link?
                          Whatever edition?
                          In default folder?

Thank you
                          • 10. Re: Installation Suite 10g in a home PC
                            HamidHelal
                            apollon27 wrote:
                            Install 32 bit JRE is there a link?
                            Whatever edition?
                            In default folder?
                            For 10gR2 version of forms you can not install version of 1.7_xx but 1.6_xx. Forms 10g and 11g both support 1.6_xx.

Check this link...http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html
                            You can download the latest 1.6_xx version from here.

hope this helps

Hamid