6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 12:44 PM by Levi Pereira RSS

Difference between Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition for Oracle RAC

Hi,

In our current setup we have RAC on standard edition and client is now planning to go for Enterprise Edition but not yet decide because of cost.

Is there any difference between Grid Infrastructure 11gR3 Enterprise edition and Standard Edition ?

They told me to first install Enterprise Edition and then will move to Standard Edition if they can't get the EE license so in that case do i have to re-install Grid infrastructure for standard edition?

Regards,
      Chirag
        • 1. Re: Difference between Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition for Oracle RAC
          Levi Pereira
          994551 wrote:
          Hi,

In our current setup we have RAC on standard edition and client is now planning to go for Enterprise Edition but not yet decide because of cost.

Is there any difference between Grid Infrastructure 11gR3 Enterprise edition and Standard Edition ?

They told me to first install Enterprise Edition and then will move to Standard Edition if they can't get the EE license so in that case do i have to re-install Grid infrastructure for standard edition?
          Hi,

There is no "Grid Infrastructure 11gR3 Enterprise edition and Standard Edition", is only Grid Infrastructure 11gR2.

About Oracle Clusterware (Grid Infrastructure) licensing.
          At least one of the servers in the cluster is licensed for Oracle Database (SE1, SE, or EE)
          A cluster is defined to include all the machines that share the same Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) and Voting Disk.
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/editions.htm#CJAHFHBJ

About Database licensing.
          http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/enterprise-edition/comparisons/index.html

Note : Oracle Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC), is an option to Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition and included with Oracle Database 11g Standard Edition (on clusters with a maximum of 4 sockets).
          If you move to Oracle EE you must purchase a separate licence to use RAC option

About Installation:
          Nothing changes on your current setup of Grid Infrastructure 11.2
          Just install a new fresh installation of Oracle Database (On current clusterware) chosing E.E during Install. Configure the database/services to start from this new ORACLE HOME. Nothing change on Database all previous backup and features used still unchanged. Using this new Oracle Home new features are enabled to be used by your databases.

About Downgrade:
          Step by Step Procedure to Convert from Enterprise Edition to Standard Edition [ID 465189.1]
          • 2. Re: Difference between Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition for Oracle RAC
            TSharma-Oracle
            Apart from above mentioned, you MUST use ASM for Standard edition for RAC.
            • 3. Re: Difference between Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition for Oracle RAC
              Levi Pereira
              TSharma wrote:
              Apart from above mentioned, you MUST use ASM for Standard edition for RAC.
              ASM is NOT mandatory using RAC or not. (i.e You can use any supported Cluster FS by Oracle)
              Please share where you get this info.
              • 4. Re: Difference between Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition for Oracle RAC
                TSharma-Oracle
                CHeck POint 7 in this link: I have seen this in Oracle documentation too. i will post when I will find.

http://www.slideshare.net/leightonnelson/oracle-rac-standard-edition-enterprise-edition-amp-one-node
                • 5. Re: Difference between Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition for Oracle RAC
                  TSharma-Oracle
                  ASM is NOT mandatory using RAC or not. (i.e You can use any supported Cluster FS by Oracle)
                  Please share where you get this info. >

Automatic Storage Management (ASM) must be used to manage all database-related files.

Check this Oracle doc

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/license.111/b28287/editions.htm
                  • 6. Re: Difference between Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition for Oracle RAC
                    Levi Pereira
                    TSharma wrote:
                    Please share where you get this info. >

Automatic Storage Management (ASM) must be used to manage all database-related files.

Check this Oracle doc

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/license.111/b28287/editions.htm
                    My fault.
                    I did not pay attention in the "SE" part mentioned above, you are right for SE Oracle RAC installations ASM is the only supported storage option for database or recovery files.

Regards,
                    Levi Pereira