This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 6:24 AM by Dude! RSS

Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards

RKYMTNSTEEL Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have been going through 2 weeks of hell getting any kind of meaningful information on Oracle linux 6.2 support for various graphics cards. I started with an ATI FireGl card that would not work with OEL 6.2. I am swapping that out in the seemingly futile hope that I can get an Nvidia GEFORCE 8800 to work. Either I am conducting my search using the wrong verbage(hard to imagine, but possible) or totally incompetant! I am here in one last desperate gamble that SOMEONE has gone through this pain before me. Maybe I am asking too much to be able to install 11GR2 on my server and still be able to use a Gnome desktop. Linux Mint worked perfectly with the ATI card, but alas, I could not install Oracle.

Thank you in advance

Dean
  • 1. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    Dude! Guru
    The Oracle Linux 6.2 installation DVD still starts the system using the original RHEL kernel. So in order to search for compatibility of your graphics adapter, did you search for RHEL or Oracle Linux? What type and brand is your server?

If the problem is simply no or distorted video that you might have a problem with OpenGL or 3D acceleration. If your the graphics adapter supports 2 monitors I suggest to verify that you are connecting your dispay to the lowest adpater output. It can often help to add "radeon.modeset=0" or "nomodeset" to the kernel parameter line.

You could also try to use Oracle Linux 6.3 or 6.4, which use the newer UEK2 kernel, including the installation startup, which could provide support for your hardware.
  • 2. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    RKYMTNSTEEL Newbie
    Thanks Dude! I have a custom built server. Intel motherboard with 2 quad core Xeons. All I am trying to do is to get my system to recognize 2 dvi displays. 1 AOC 23" and an Asus 23". I just replaced the ATI card with a GEFORCE 8800 card. Still no luck. Too bad there isn't a tool that can configure this, because I tried mucking with the Xorg.conf file, but I don't really know what I am doing. I am a database guy, not a system programmer. I just upgraded to Oracle 6.4 and still no luck! Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks
  • 3. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    Dude! Guru
    There is usually no need to configure the xorg.conf server configration file. The X11/Xorg server automatcially attemtps to detect the hardware and configure itself as startup. You can create a configuration file to overwrite teh defaults if necessary, but it requries that you know what you are doing.

I suggest to start with an easy setup and do a step wise approach to find out what works and what not. Did you try to disconnect the 2nd display and read my previous response regarding the display connection and kernel parameter?
  • 4. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    RKYMTNSTEEL Newbie
    What kernel parameter line? Where? You are right about the xorg.conf. Every so called expert on the internet says to modify that file, which is why I have re-installed a few times. Are there any tools available that can help configure your graphics set up? I ran lspci and it definately knows that I have an Nvidia card. This may be hard to imagine, but I am almost ready to back to Windows!
  • 5. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    Dude! Guru
    You have not really described what the problem or symptom is and when it occurs. Reading you previous post I assume you have no video.

But what is happening exactly? Does the problem mentioned in the OL 6.2 release notes apply?

15. Console appears to hang while booting on certain systems (10094052)

https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-U2-en.html#known_issues

You temporarily modify kernel parameters by pressing any key at the GRUB startup menu. Select the UEK kernel, press the letter 'e'. Move the cursor to the kernel line, press the letter 'e' again and enter 'nomodset' to the end of the line. Press the 'enter' key and 'b' to boot the kernel. For troubleshooting it might also be useful to remove quiet rhgb from the kernel line for more verbose information during system start up. The change is only temporary until the next system restart, but you can modify the grub configuration file to make the change permanent provided it helps.

Is there any particular reason for OL 6.2, or can you try OL 6.4?
  • 6. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    RKYMTNSTEEL Newbie
    Dude,

Sorry, xrandr reports failure to get size of gamma for output default
    and screen 0 default connection 1280x1024
    All my attempts to get my second monitor to be 'seen' have been futile. I currently have installed an NviTdia geforce 8800 GT graphics card with 2 DVI outputs. I have an AOC 2343FK and an Asus 232H monitors. I have 2TB of storage and 24GB of Ram. I don't play games, and I don't do any graphical design. I am a database architect and I just want to install Oracle on this server, and have 2 monitors to manage the work I do. That is it! I just want both monitors to work! I can answer just about any database question, but I am lost in this adventure.
  • 7. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    Dude! Guru
    From what I understand, the error means that the X Window server cannot find a display attached to your DVI output, which actually means it does not support the DVI port where your display has been attached to. This is a problem of the video driver that simply lacks support for your graphics adapter.

I suggest to start by connecting only one display and verify it is connected to the DVI-1 port of the adapter. Support for DVI-2 requires support by the video driver.

Enterprise Linux should work with graphics adapters that are standard with server hardware sold by HP and Dell. Graphics adapters you can buy over the desk from ATI and NVIDIA are usually designed for the end-user desktop/game market and are all difficult to get fully working under Enterprise Linux. You can check the vendor support page to see if they provide driver support for SUSE and RHEL, but I doubt that it will work with the Oracle Linux UEK kernel. Driver software from these vendors are not open source and require a specific Linux kernel. Alternative drivers exist for http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ for NVIDIA, but your success will vary, in particular if you need to support 2 monitors, which is not a typical server system setup.

You might have more luck using a Linux distribution for desktop systems, such as Fedora or Ubuntu. What you are planning to install from Oracle? It is easier to get Oracle Database working on unsupported Linux than trying to hack a video driver to support advanced features on an unsupported operating system. Or try a complete different approach and install Windows and use virtualization, like Oracle VirtualBox to run Oracle Linux out of the box. I would prefer to use virtualization even if my desktop computer would run Linux. There are just too many advantages I would not want to miss anymore.
  • 8. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    RKYMTNSTEEL Newbie
    Thank you for your response Dude, I will look into another distro. I have only tried Mint 14 until now, and that was as big of a headache to install Oracle.

Much thanks,

Dean
  • 9. Re: Oracle support and compatibility with graphics cards
    Dude! Guru
    If VirtualBox or any other Type 2 hypervisor is not feasible for you, Linux Ubuntu will most likely support your hardware out of the box. Unfortunately, Ubuntu is not a supported distribution to install Oracle 11g Database, but I created several instructions in the past how to make it work:

Install Oracle 11gR2 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (64-bit) Howto
    Install Oracle 11gR2 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (64-bit) Howto
    Install Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (64-bit) Howto
    Install Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (64-bit) Howto
    Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Linux Ubuntu 11.10 howto
    Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Linux Ubuntu 11.10 howto

I have not updated the instructions to work under Ubuntu 12.04 or later. It is possible, but requires more work around due fundamental system changes. Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Linux Ubuntu 11.10 howto might give you some idea. I suggest to test if Ubuntu 11.04 is sufficient enough first.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points