5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 12:24 PM by jflack

SQL Developer for 64 bit

apex_disco
      Using Win7 64 bit OS in an environment that doesn't allow me to install anything on my machine.

Trying to use SQL Dev 3.2.2
      Downloaded Windows 32-bit - zip file includes the JDK1.6.0_35 but getting the following error: Can't load AMD 64-bit .dll on a IA 32-bit platform+
      which understandably it's not for 64 bit systems.

So downloaded the zip for Windows 64-bit. When I run sqldeveloper.exe it asks for "Enter the full pathname for java.exe". For some reason it doesn't like C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin. It gave me the following error when I enter that path: "+*Cannot find a J2SE SDK installed at path C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin*+."

Edit: I copied the JDK folder from 32 bit to 64bit and I'm getting the following error now:
      Unable to launch the Java Virtual Machine Located at path: ..\..\jdk\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll*
      Is it now the matter of finding the right JVM.DLL like in Oracle FORMS?

Or, Is there a way I can download the jdk from somewhere and put in the 64 bit folder and point my java there, like the 32bit zipped version?
      Any suggestions?

Edited by: apex_disco on Mar 18, 2013 2:47 PM
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer for 64 bit
          Network hiccup
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer for 64 bit
            >
            It gave me the following error when I enter that path: "Cannot find a J2SE SDK installed at path C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin."
            >
            That error message is telling you the problem.

Sql developer needs a JDK; you are pointing it to a JRE. Point it to a JDK.
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer for 64 bit
              apex_disco
              I cannot install JDK on this particular client's system - the approval process will take forever.

For some reason, I was able to run SQLDev 64bit from the batch file.
              ..\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.bat

I'm not sure what are the consequences or the implications. But I'm able to connect using TNSNames that were on the installed Oracle Client 11g which has sqlplus that I can use.
              • 4. Re: SQL Developer for 64 bit
                >
                I cannot install JDK on this particular client's system - the approval process will take forever.
                >
                Then you will not be able to use sql developer. It requires specific versions of the JDK. See the Installation Guide
                http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35137_01/doc.32/e35119.pdf
                >
                1.2.2 Linux and Mac OS X Systems, and Windows Systems without JDK 1.6.11 or Later

SQL Developer requires that the Java JDK 1.6.0_11 or later (but not 1.7.n) be installed on the system, or that you install a SQL Developer for Windows kit that includes a JDK. If you need to install a JDK, go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/.
                >
                As for this;
                >
                I'm able to connect using TNSNames that were on the installed Oracle Client 11g which has sqlplus that I can use.
                >
                Sql*Plus and Oracle client do not require or use Java.
                • 5. Re: SQL Developer for 64 bit
                  jflack
                  Will your client allow you to run software from a USB stick (or other flash memory medium)? I think you can install a SQL Developer with JDK on a USB stick from another machine. Then it uses the JDK on the stick.