This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 1:08 PM by TSharma-Oracle RSS

dataguard installation

972227 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Guys, this is more of a general questions rather than a technical question. Suppose there are 100 databases in a compnay and we are suppose to configure dataguard for all those 100 databases. How is that dataguard configuration done on all those 100 databases. Is it the same as configuring dataguard for a single database, except with these 100 databases we have to repeat the steps 100 times?

I ask this question because I started my job 3 months ago and my company uses sunguard for data replication and not dataguard, goldengate or shareplex. The replication with sunguard is done at an OS level rather than a database level. What ever information is present on the disk all of it replicated by hitachi software to sunguard servers, atleast that is what my understanding is regarding the sunguard replication.

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: dataguard installation
    UweHesse Expert
    Yes, with 100 Primary Databases (regardless whether they all run on the same one server even), you need to implement 100 times a Data Guard Configuration in order to get a Standby Database for each Primary.

It can be scripted, of course :-)

Kind regards
    Uwe Hesse

"Don't believe it, test it!"
    http://uhesse.com
  • 2. Re: dataguard installation
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    Yes you are right. You will need to do in all instances. Why do you want to move to dataguard options?
    If your company had already inversted in one technology and if it is working fine, why do you want to go to other? I am just being curious.
    If your databases are on different machine , you will need to buy lot of oracle licenses and oracke isn't cheap. If your databases are small and you are doing active/passive replication, just stick to the current solution. That's just my suggestion.
  • 3. Re: dataguard installation
    972227 Newbie
    Oh no, we are not moving to other replication technologies. I was asking this question just for my knowledge sake. So if we have to implement dataguard 100 times, then would oracle price us 100 times for each dataguard we configure?
  • 4. Re: dataguard installation
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    Normally you get a big discount for DR sites,specially when you are buying in such large scale.

Please mark this question answered if you think you have your question answered to keep your forum clean. Thanks!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points