3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 1:15 AM by 966684 RSS

Reconfigure system

Hi All,

I have a HA environment with Production DB running on Oracle 11gR2 on Solaris and OS clustered with 2 nodes. The Data Guard is single-node.

As recommended by our DB consultants we have to increase the storage layer block size and reconfigure the RAID level.

My question is does it need to reconfigure the Data Guard parameters in production and standby and build the data guard from scratch.?
        • 1. Re: Reconfigure system
          damorgan
          I dislike changing the topic on you but I highly recommend you do NOT follow your consultants advice if I am interpreting your post correctly. Can you explain the rationale for using a larger block size provided by the consultant?

The larger the block size on a RAC cluster the more likely you will experience cache fusion interconnect issues that often show themselves as a node spontaneously rebooting.

My concern with respect to this advice should tell you what I know about making the change you are asking about. I can not imagine ever recommending to a client that they take this action.
          • 2. Re: Reconfigure system
            Hemant K Chitale
            I would advice a Backup of the database.

It seems that the actions of " increase the storage layer block size and reconfigure the RAID level" would result in rebuilding the filesystems. That means you'd have to backup and then restore the database. Your standby would not be connected to the Primary during this period.

If your database is on ASM and not filesystems, you should still backup the database. The RAID reconfiguration would likely result in loss of the ASM disks, meaning that you'd have to recreate the ASM disk grouop and restore the database.

What about the Primary ? Are the consultants advicing changes to the primary ?

Haven't you asked them (the DB consultants) what backups you need to take, what you will need to restore and what will have to be reconfigured ? And WHY you need to change the block size and rebuild RAID at all ?

Hemant K Chitale

Edited by: Hemant K Chitale on Mar 20, 2013 1:54 PM
            added last question "And WHY you need to change the block size and rebuild RAID at all ?"
            • 3. Re: Reconfigure system
              damorgan wrote:
              I dislike changing the topic on you but I highly recommend you do NOT follow your consultants advice if I am interpreting your post correctly. Can you explain the rationale for using a larger block size provided by the consultant?

The larger the block size on a RAC cluster the more likely you will experience cache fusion interconnect issues that often show themselves as a node spontaneously rebooting.

My concern with respect to this advice should tell you what I know about making the change you are asking about. I can not imagine ever recommending to a client that they take this action.
              Hi, we are not using RAC. It's a OS level cluster.