Very bizzare one but need just for information.
We have purchased four set of Exadata and want to implement this scenario in one of exadata due to licensing issues.
We have sufficient number of DB licenses but do not have RAC licenses and management is in no mood to purchase for next one quarter at least.
We want to implement all nodes as stand alone nodes along with Clusterware (Grid) so that ASM Disk Groups will be visible on all nodes at the same time. In case of any node failure, we can start DB instance on another node.
My question is : -
1. Can I install and use clusterware grid software across all nodes and share disk group without RAC licenses (that is with only DB licenses).
2. Will clusterware allow sharing of same disk group across all nodes and file locking etc i.e. sharing features will be available without RAC.
3. What all technical problems I may face?
Based on these, I will wait for license purchase or may decide to use box for DEVELOPMENT category databases.
My question is not regarding licenses. I mentioned licenses because solution we are thinking is arise due to licenses. We do not have RAC licenses so trying alternate solution. Request you to go through complete question.. I have modified subject line as well now.
Thanks for your message.
1. Grid software is not related to oracle rac. Even we can install grid software for stand alone databases.
2. If you use common disk group for all nodes it is fine, but if something goes wrong for undetlying grid all nodes will have downtime.
3. So, based on criticality divide disk groups among the databases.
4. Normally in exadata will comes with oracle ee and oravle asm and oravle rac. Before confuguration please call oracle support team. Because any misconfiguration they will charge for reconfiguration.
5. In current scenario without rac you will be loosing HA capability.
Hope it helps...