This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 11:18 AM by mseberg RSS

FAL related questions

998139 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

Can you please clarify on the below query?

1)Is FAL a method to resolve archive gaps?

2) Is it mandatory to set FAL_SERVER & FAL_CLIENT on the standby database? Can Gap detection & resolution be possible without FAL process?

3) Is FAL a server process or background process? How to view FAL process from O/S?

4) The FAL method of Gap Resolution is implemented by the MRP process on the standby during Log Apply processing . Automatic Gap Resolution is implemented during log transport processing. Am I correct in my understanding?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

With regards
  • 1. Re: FAL related questions
    mseberg Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hello;
    1)Is FAL a method to resolve archive gaps?
    The Fetch Archive Log Process (FAL) is a background Oracle process that runs on the primary database server.

The Standby can initiate requests to the FAL server process to send the missing archived redo logs if needed.
    2) Is it mandatory to set FAL_SERVER & FAL_CLIENT on the standby database? Can Gap detection & resolution be possible without FAL process?
    No. They are required if you set one or the other. FAL_CLIENT is not required in Oracle 11. In RAC systems I would always set them.

Yes, you can manaully resolve gap by registering a log file.
    3) Is FAL a server process or background process? How to view FAL process from O/S?
    Server process. FAL Archiver processes

No idea. In the alert log you might see :

ARC3: Becoming the ‘no FAL’ ARCH

4) The FAL method of Gap Resolution is implemented by the MRP process on the standby during Log Apply processing . Automatic Gap Resolution is implemented during log transport processing. Am I correct in my understanding?
    FAL Gap Resolution is tied to MRP.

Automatic Gap Resolution is implemented during log transport processing.

See

Data Guard Gap Detection and Resolution [ID 232649.1]

Best Regards

mseberg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points