This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2013 1:05 PM by marksmithusa RSS

How to get the serial numbers from switches

marksmithusa Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, there,

My management is wanting to know the serial numbers of all the components of our two Exadata machines: one quarter-rack V2 and one half-rack V1

I can use dmidecode to get the appropriate information for comp nodes and storage cells, but not for the Cisco/Voltaire switch, nor the IB switches.

I read MOS 1299791.1 and the thought of asking a DOC operative to pull out the label ‘which could damage the switch’ worries me quite a bit.

Is it still true that we are unable to obtain the serial number for the IB switches and the Cisco/Voltaire switches from the CLI of the switches themselves? Sad face.

Mark
  • 1. Re: How to get the serial numbers from switches
    robinsc Explorer
    Okay I know this might not be helpful but they do ship with the parts list that comes with the machine. the cisco switch serial number appears on support.oracle.com after integration with asr... that might not be true for v1 and v2 however
  • 2. Re: How to get the serial numbers from switches
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi Friend,

Good Question. Recently we have done this activity (Logical Inspection and Physical Inspection) for one of the customer.

In Exadata Components are Database Node, Storage Server and Infiniband Switches.

Finding Serial Numbers is very easy :

1. Database Node : It will be there in front side of the compute Node.
    2. Storage Server : It will be there in front side of the compute Node.
    3. Infiniband : It will be there in back side of the switch.

There are currently no commands which can be run on a NM2-36 IB switch which will return the serial number of the box.

The serial numbers which come back from these various commands are the serial numbers of either the switch motherboard or Kontron module.

Switch Motherboard:
    showfruinfo

Kontron Module:
    CheckSWProfile.sh -S

Option 2 : Even if you check with Oracle Corp team they will have all the details of Serial Numbers of these components else we can find out through physical inspection in data center

Hope it helps...

Thanks
    LaserSoft
  • 3. Re: How to get the serial numbers from switches
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    robinsc wrote:
    Okay I know this might not be helpful but they do ship with the parts list that comes with the machine. the cisco switch serial number appears on support.oracle.com after integration with asr... that might not be true for v1 and v2 however
    Hmm. I didn't realize we were able to integration the switches with ASR (in fact, I was told by Oracle that we weren't). That might be an option, though, I'll look into it. Obviously, that's not an option for the HP hardware.

Good idea about the parts list. I did send an email to our TSM to see if they had kept the parts list anywhere. They should as they're a 'data company', right? :)

My management say they are fine with just getting the model numbers instead of the serial numbers. I suspect I can only get the model numbers from the outside of the box as well, though.
  • 4. Re: How to get the serial numbers from switches
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    Yeah, in the MOS note, it states that there is no way to determine the serial number of the switch itself from software. Any serial number that we can obtain is not for the switch, but an internal component as you mention.
  • 5. Re: How to get the serial numbers from switches
    robinsc Explorer
    In fact in the asr component details on metalink I can see a serial number for both my infiniband switches starting with AK ( differnt from the rack serial number) and also a serial number for the cisco switch starting with FOX .( this is an x2-2 quarter rack....)
    If you have asr integrated check my oracle support to see if you have similar details...
    Thanks
  • 6. Re: How to get the serial numbers from switches
    mrmessin Oracle ACE
    See if this is what you are looking for.

On the Cisco Switch:
    show module
    Chassis Type : WS-C4948

Power consumed by backplane : 0 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 48 1000BaseX (SFP) Supervisor WS-C4948 FOX1622G4UX

M MAC addresses Hw Fw Sw Status
    ---------------------------------------------------------------+---------
    1 a493.4cd5.a180 to a493.4cd5.a1af 1.9 12.2(31r)SGA 15.0(2)SG4 Ok

Infiniband switches:
    /opt/oracle.SupportTools/CheckSWProfile.sh -S 192.168.254.14
    Checking if switch 192.168.254.14 is pingable...
    Use the default password for all switches? (y/n) [n]: y
    192.168.254.14 NCD4I0136

Edited by: mrmessin on Mar 22, 2013 9:11 AM
  • 7. Re: How to get the serial numbers from switches
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    robinsc wrote:
    In fact in the asr component details on metalink I can see a serial number for both my infiniband switches starting with AK ( differnt from the rack serial number) and also a serial number for the cisco switch starting with FOX .( this is an x2-2 quarter rack....)
    If you have asr integrated check my oracle support to see if you have similar details...
    Thanks
    Nice tip. I was able to get all the serial numbers/product names for my V2 machine with this. Sadly, ASR isn't available for the V1 machine (because it uses HP hardware), so I had to guess a little bit ;)
  • 8. Re: How to get the serial numbers from switches
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    mrmessin wrote:
    See if this is what you are looking for.

On the Cisco Switch:
    show module
    Chassis Type : WS-C4948

Power consumed by backplane : 0 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 48 1000BaseX (SFP) Supervisor WS-C4948 FOX1622G4UX

M MAC addresses Hw Fw Sw Status
    ---------------------------------------------------------------+---------
    1 a493.4cd5.a180 to a493.4cd5.a1af 1.9 12.2(31r)SGA 15.0(2)SG4 Ok

Infiniband switches:
    /opt/oracle.SupportTools/CheckSWProfile.sh -S 192.168.254.14
    Checking if switch 192.168.254.14 is pingable...
    Use the default password for all switches? (y/n) [n]: y
    192.168.254.14 NCD4I0136
    This was another great tip. Worked for the V2 switches, but not, strangely, the V1 ones. I know the product names for those, which should suffice. Thanks :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points