This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 7:05 AM by nani.krishna RSS

How to Open Period in Projects?

Pradeep Kalyan Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
It looks simple to open period in Projects. But I am not sure about the exact steps.

I observed the below...
when I opened GL Period, it automatically opens PA period. Is that the way the module behaves?

What is the use of 'Copy from GL' button and 'Set Reporting Period'.

What is the exact procedure to open PA period ?
I can see that the status field is greyed out in Maintain PA period statuses. Please advise.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    nani.krishna Explorer
    There are two periods in PA, one is GL Period and other is PA period

you can decide whether to manitain common periods between GL and PA ( It is a check box in Projects Implementation options)

Incase you set it as common, then whatever calendar is defined in GL will appear in GL period form and also in PA period window

Copy from GL button in PA period form resembles to copy the periods defined in the GL to PA period ( for example: the GL calendar is defined say till end of 2013, you have copied to PA period, so PA period also has till end of 2013) after a while GL team adds the calendar periods for 2014, when you click on copy from GL, then copies remaning periods that weren't copied earlier

Check box Reporting period is something which you set to make sure all your Project status Inquiry details, reporting details are considered

for example: you have set March 2013, then when you run PRC: update project summary amounts then updates all the project details till the period of March-2013

Thanks
    Krishna
  • 2. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    Pradeep Kalyan Journeyer
    Krishna!!!

Thanks for your reply. Your reply is simple and easy to understand!! thanks again.

I have one doubt...

as you said, in the project implementation option, manitain common periods between GL and PA is enabled in my instance.

which means that if I open period in GL, it will automatically open the period in PA. Correct??? i dont need to explictily open the period in PA.

Also I dont need to click on 'Copy from GL' button after opening period in GL to open the same in PA. Correct?

Please clarify

Thanks
  • 3. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    nani.krishna Explorer
    No, you need to open the periods in projects independently

Periods are just copied over from GL to subledger modules and subledger modules ( any subledger module apart from projects) they operate independently

you open PA period and close PA period independently

Thanks
    Krishna
  • 4. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    Pradeep Kalyan Journeyer
    Thanks for your reply.

FEB-13 was closed in GL and PA in my instance.

I opened the FEB-13 in GL when I came to PA, I can see FEB-13 was opened in PA as well.

I dint even clicked on Copy to GL button. Also I cannot see that the status of Period is editable in PA.

Please advise.

Thanks for all your help Ramki!!

Pradeep
  • 5. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    Dina Rotem Guru
    Hi

When you setup Maintain Common PA and GL periods in Projects you will get the definition of periods shared for PA periods and GL periods. That means, if you have GL periods as Months and the start date and end date of GL periods meet the calendar dates, you will get the same period definitions as PA periods. The copy functionality copies the period definitions (period names and date boundaries) and not the period statuses.
    When you use such setup you will not be able to use monthly periods in GL and weekly periods as PA periods.

Note you need to maintain the status of the period in PA, and separately maintain the status of the period in GL. Assuming you open period March 2013 in GL, it will be opened for all subledgers like, PO, AP, AR, PA, etc. When you are closing that period in PA, no new transactions could be accounted as of March in PA. However, GL may still be open, so you would be able to enter journal entries directly to GL for the month of March-2013.

Dina
  • 6. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    Pradeep Kalyan Journeyer
    Dina/Ram,

Thanks for your replies.

But I feel my doubt is still not cleared here..

My Case.....

FEB-13 was closed in GL and PA in my instance.

I opened the FEB-13 in GL when I came to PA, I can see FEB-13 was opened in PA as well. Why and How this happened?

I dint even clicked on Copy to GL button. Also I cannot see that the status of Period is editable in PA. Why the Status of period is non editable in PA?

Please advise.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Pradeep
  • 7. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    Pradeep Kalyan Journeyer
    Hi Any update on this please?
  • 8. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    Pradeep Kalyan Journeyer
    I have opened APR-13 in "GL Periods for PA" then I navigated to PA Periods, I can see that APR-13 also opened in PA Period screen as well.
    Is that enough to open periods in PA?

Please update ASAP by tomm.

Thanks
  • 9. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    deanh - oracle Explorer
    Hi Pradeep,

I think Dina already answered your concern: "Note you need to maintain the status of the period in PA, and separately maintain the status of the period in GL. Assuming you open period March 2013 in GL, it will be opened for all subledgers like, PO, AP, AR, PA, etc. "

Your PA period was opened when you opened your GL period.

If that's not the question you have outstanding please restate what it is you require an answer for.

Thanks,
    Dean
  • 10. Re: How to Open Period in Projects?
    nani.krishna Explorer
    Hi Kalyan

Periods are maintained by Operating Unit specific, you still need to open in Projects

Thanks
    Krishna

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points