This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 3:50 PM by 999633 RSS

ShadowProtect to backup Oracle Databases

moslee Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi to all

I would like to hear from anyone if you are using ShadowProtect to backup your Oracle databases.
What are your experiences and the pros and cons in using ShadowProtect as the one and only backup/recovery tools for Oracle databases?
Can the potential of ShadowProtect replaces the commonly use Oracle backup/recovery tools?

The reason why I raise this question is because my boss has the idea that ShadowProtect is THE best backup/recovery tools. Personally I don't think so, because there can be cases where we only need to recover the database and not the whole OS. Thus need to hear more from you guys.

Thanks.

Edited by: moslee on Mar 22, 2013 2:24 AM
  • 1. Re: ShadowProtect to backup Oracle Databases
    EdStevens Guru
    moslee wrote:
    Hi to all

I would like to hear from anyone if you are using ShadowProtect to backup your Oracle databases.
    What are your experiences and the pros and cons in using ShadowProtect as the one and only backup/recovery tools for Oracle databases?
    Can the potential of ShadowProtect replaces the commonly use Oracle backup/recovery tools?

The reason why I raise this question is because my boss has the idea that ShadowProtect is THE best backup/recovery tools. Personally I don't think so, because there can be cases where we only need to recover the database and not the whole OS. Thus need to hear more from you guys.

Thanks.

Given the complexities of backup and recovery of an Oracle database, I wouldn't trust anything but Oracle's own solution, rman. BTW, you already paid for rman. BTW, I've been known to quietly implement my own rman backups, then let the "enterprise" solution backup my rman backups. When the excrement enters the ventilation system, your ultimate go/no-go responsibility is to recover that database. And "they" (management, the storage management team, whoever) will never accept that their backup solution was inadequate or fatally flawed.

Edited by: EdStevens on Mar 22, 2013 6:18 AM
  • 2. Re: ShadowProtect to backup Oracle Databases
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    moslee wrote:
    Hi to all

Thanks.

All of this sounds like a GIANT PLUG for whatever ShadowProtect is - evidently, according to someone, it is THE best backup/recovery tools.
  • 3. Re: ShadowProtect to backup Oracle Databases
    sb92075 Guru
    moslee wrote:
    Hi to all

only when OS is Windoze & you are willing to bet it all on an uncertified product.
  • 4. Re: ShadowProtect to backup Oracle Databases
    moslee Newbie
    Thanks for the sharing.

EdStevens, you are absolutely right there. Management will also play the "Blaming Game" when problems happen and me, being the last on the hierarchy, will definitely receive all the fault if I don't sound out to them that ShadowProtect cannot be THE only backup/recovery tool. Wondering if THIS one and only backup can be the single point of failure, especially in my company where recovery exercise is not being test annually. I think I got to do something to show them that there is something lacking... Well, Titanic sinks too..

I really love this forum because as a new DBA, I have found myself learning more and more thru such discussion. Thanks guys! =)
  • 5. Re: ShadowProtect to backup Oracle Databases
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    Let me guess, this ShadowProtect is a product which backs up the operating system only?

Yeah, that's going to give you problems when you have to restore the database, unless you take the database down and close all related files before you take the O/S backup.

I mean, you could always try it out in test. Don't you do disaster recovery exercises/ever test restoring the backups?

If not, I'd be suggesting that to your boss post haste - especially if you're a junior DBA :)
  • 6. Re: ShadowProtect to backup Oracle Databases
    999633 Newbie
    Hey Moslee,

You should definitely be testing your Oracle database recovery plan quarterly. If you're not even testing it annually that would be what really scares me the most. Testing should show you what you can and cannot get out of your backup and recovery software. Everything else being equal, please please please test your backup and recovery plan and do it often.

As for ShadowProtect, one of the nice things about this backup solution is that it's an image-based backup which means that it will quiesce the Oracle database and transactions to get a good snapshot of your database. Then (because it's an image-based solution) you can recover the Oracle DB, OS, installed applications, running services, data, and etc to that specific recovery point. Another nice thing is that ShadowProtect can quickly virtualize a backup image as a VM using Oracle's VirtualBox, MS Hyper-V, VMware, Citrix ZenServer and/or RedHat's KVM. Over all ShadowProtect's a pretty powerful and easy to use Windows backup tool.

Oh, and ShadowProtect's integrated with Oracle's VirtualBox technology (it's called ShadowProtect VirtualBoot) which makes it SUPER easy to spin up a backup image as a VM and verify (read "TEST" in capital letters) whether you've got a solid backup of your Oracle DB. I'd hate to find out the day after the excrement/fan fiasco that my backups were unusable. Please test! (I'm cringing in my chair here.) Then let us know whether you agree with your boss.

Cheers!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points