This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 1:45 PM by Fabricio_Jorge RSS

OUI error " No protocol specified" in Solaris 11

Fabricio_Jorge Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all...

Grid/Database: 11.2.0.3

I am trying to install Grid Infrastructure on a standalone server running Solaris 11. After all the prereqs, i executed "runInstaller" as grud user, and the following error popped-up to me:
grid@oradsv01:/export/binaries/grid$ ./runInstaller
Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 180 MB.   Actual 479381 MB    Passed
Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB.   Actual 482076 MB    Passed
Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors
    >>> Could not execute /usr/bin/xdpyinfo    Failed <<<<

Some requirement checks failed. You must fulfill these requirements before

continuing with the installation,

Continue? (y/n) [n] y

Ignoring required pre-requisite failures. Continuing...
Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2013-03-22_12-24-39PM. Please wait ...grid@oradsv01:/export/binaries/grid$ No protocol specified Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError         at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)         at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)         at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:821)         at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)         at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:804)         at com.jgoodies.looks.LookUtils.isLowResolution(LookUtils.java:484)         at com.jgoodies.looks.LookUtils.<clinit>(LookUtils.java:249)         at com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.PlasticLookAndFeel.<clinit>(PlasticLookAndFeel.java:135)         at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)         at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:242)         at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.loadSystemClass(SwingUtilities.java:1779)         at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:453)         at oracle.install.commons.util.Application.startup(Application.java:780)         at oracle.install.commons.flow.FlowApplication.startup(FlowApplication.java:165)         at oracle.install.commons.flow.FlowApplication.startup(FlowApplication.java:182)         at oracle.install.commons.base.driver.common.Installer.startup(Installer.java:348)         at oracle.install.ivw.crs.driver.CRSInstaller.startup(CRSInstaller.java:98)
I've already set up the following envs on the Solaris 11 server, as grid user:

DISPLAY=my_computer_ip:0.0
AWT_TOOLKIT=XToolkit

... but the error persists.

I am connecting to the Solaris 11 server using Windows 7 and Xming started and running. Checking the Xming logs, i saw the following:
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows Vista
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
AUDIT: Fri Mar 22 12:03:00 2013: 7052 C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming\Xming.exe: client 4 rejected from IP IP_ADM_MY_SOLARIS11_SERVER
AUDIT: Fri Mar 22 12:10:04 2013: 7052 C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming\Xming.exe: client 4 rejected from IP IP_MY_SOLARIS11_SERVER
AUDIT: Fri Mar 22 12:16:22 2013: 7052 C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming\Xming.exe: client 4 rejected from IP IP_MY_SOLARIS11_SERVER
winClipboardWindowProc - WM_CHANGECBCHAIN: attempted to set next window to ourselves.AUDIT: Fri Mar 22 12:24:45 2013: 7052 C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming\Xming.exe: client 4 rejected from IP IP_ADM_MY_SOLARIS11_SERVER
I tryied to run "xhost +" as root, but it cannot be found. I don't know if this program exists on Solaris 11. As you can see, my expertise in Solaris 11 is limited.

What do i need to do to proceed with the installation?

Thanks in advance
  • 1. Re: OUI error " No protocol specified" in Solaris 11
    sb92075 Guru
    Fabricio_Jorge wrote:
    I tryied to run "xhost +" as root, but it cannot be found. I don't know if this program exists on Solaris 11. As you can see, my expertise in Solaris 11 is limited.

What do i need to do to proceed with the installation?

Thanks in advance
    On a properly configured system, you don't need to do anything regarding xhost or the DISPLAY variable.

You need to log on to the DB Server as below ( or functional equivalent)

ssh -X oracle@DB_Server
    immediately after doing as above then issue command below
    xclock
    if xclock succeeds, the more than likely OUI will succeed too.
  • 2. Re: OUI error " No protocol specified" in Solaris 11
    EdStevens Guru
    How are you connecting to the Solaris box?
    I use PuTTY and configure my connection (part of the connection definition in PuTTY) to allow x-11 port forwarding. With that I don't have to worry about my DISPLAY variable or xhosts or such. Just make sure I have xming running on my desktop. If you use some other ssh client besides putty, I'm sure the same functionality for port forwarding would be there.

You might also need to check the xming site for fonts ...
  • 3. Re: OUI error " No protocol specified" in Solaris 11
    Fabricio_Jorge Explorer
    Hi,

thanks for your attention. When a run "xclock" as grid and as root user, the following error appears:

"-bash: xclock: command not found"

Is there xclock in Solaris 11? I know it comes by default in RedHat installations.
  • 4. Re: OUI error " No protocol specified" in Solaris 11
    Fabricio_Jorge Explorer
    Thanks for your attention.

I'm using Putty and already enabled X11 forwawding (SSH > X11 > Checked "Enable X11 forwarding"), but the same error appeared to me.
  • 5. Re: OUI error " No protocol specified" in Solaris 11
    sb92075 Guru
    Fabricio_Jorge wrote:
    Hi,

thanks for your attention. When a run "xclock" as grid and as root user, the following error appears:

"-bash: xclock: command not found"

Is there xclock in Solaris 11? I know it comes by default in RedHat installations.
    It appears that complete X-Windows packages are not installed on this Solaris system.

putty with X-11 forwarding will suffice as an acceptable ssh substitute.
  • 6. Re: OUI error " No protocol specified" in Solaris 11
    606331 Explorer
    i hope when you install Solaris 11 onto a SPARC..or etc machines using the Solaris text installer, the Solaris Large Server pkg group is installed.
    it is quite a large pkg group that provides most of the software you'd need on a server.......................
    One thing it doesn't deliver, and this is deliberate, is an X environment or any of the related libraries, and thus no Xterm either....etc...

you can easily get Xterm on your solaris large server installation without installing the whole of the solaris-desktop pkgs group by installing just the following pkgs:

Xauth - it is required to allow ssh to set up X11 forwarding with authentication...............
    X11/diagnostic/X11-info-clients - it is required for software that executes xdpyinfo.............
    library/motif - it is required for software that has a Motif GUI terminal/xterm.........................

hope this will helpful to you.....

Accessing X11 Display......please refer below link...for more info.....

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/html/E28056/gmceg.html

Edited by: dbc001 on Mar 23, 2013 9:57 AM
  • 7. Re: OUI error " No protocol specified" in Solaris 11
    Fabricio_Jorge Explorer
    Hello all,

Thanks for your attention. I managed to solve the issue by installing in the server, the vnc package (pkg install xvnc) and connecting on it by using a vnc client. With this approach, i was able to install the Oracle software successfully.

Thanks for all the answers.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points