This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 2:09 PM by Dude! RSS

firefox freezing up when using kde interface

user483999 Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
recently had to restore firefox (yum install firefox), and ever since when using the kde interface firefox freezes the terminal session, if i use gnome, firefox runs ok.. in the kde interface the browser konquerer works fine ?

as soon as i click on any of the tabs or help or tools, firefox freezes everything... so i need a solution that doesn't require me to do something inside of firefox to fix the problem.

oel 5.8 64bit
  • 1. Re: firefox freezing up when using kde interface
    Dude! Guru
    My first guess was a memory issue or problem with any installed Firefox extensions, such as Flash, etc.

Was it working before you "restored" Firefox, and why did you have to "restore" it? Was there anything else you installed beside only Firefox?
  • 2. Re: firefox freezing up when using kde interface
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Am using Firefox with KDE (currently KDE 4) and have been for many years. Cannot recall ever having such a problem.

I doubt that it is Firefox specifically that is the problem. More likely that there is a KDE issue that Firefox runs into. What KDE version do you have installed? Does it use OpenGL or XRender? What desktop special effects are enabled?

Use System Settings|Desktop Effects to have a look. Check the file +$HOME/.xsession-errors+ for errors. A safe setting (slower performance with most special effects disabled) is to set compositing to XRender. Use this as a sanity check and determine if Firefox works in that case.

If you want to use OpenGL, ensure h/w rendering is used and the latest stable OpenGL driver, and video driver, are used for the video chipset of your platform.

PS. If you reinstalled Firefox, it would be wise to remove all existing Firefox settings in that +$HOME+ by deleting +.mozilla+ directory.
  • 3. Re: firefox freezing up when using kde interface
    user483999 Journeyer
    i have no firefox extensions installed, and the reason i had to reinstall firefox was it dissappeared after i had done a groupuninstall on gnome, and the a groupinstall on gnome... firefox works fine with gnome ?

the kde version i have is 3.5.4-26.0.1-el5.7.1
  • 4. Re: firefox freezing up when using kde interface
    Dude! Guru
    I suggest to create a new user and try Firefox under the new user. If it works, you most likely have a problem with some file/settings in your other home directory.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points