This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 1:26 PM by 999051 RSS

[SOLVED] kernel-headers & VirtualBox. Still same problems! (

999051 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, but i didn't found an answer anywhere! I'm trying to install VirtualBox 4.2.10 from terminal on my x86 Oracle Linux.
Half year ago, when i tried first, i couldn't resolv the problem and still the same problem today - NO KERNEL HEADERS for ORACLE Linux in REPO! What did wrong after update? I can found headers only for RHEL original kernel, but i don't want to use 2.6.32 kernel version.

Can someone help me and describe true and complete installation VirtualBox for Oracle Linux??? Thanks ahead!

Edited by: 996048 on 25.03.2013 13:26

Edited by: 996048 on 25.03.2013 13:30
  • 1. Re: kernel-headers & VirtualBox. Still same problems! (
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    If you have questions or issues with Virtualbox's software and how it interacts with your OS of choice, you need to go to their forums. You'll find them at the same web site where you obtained the software:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

Those are deliberately kept separate from these OTN forums.
    You get Virtualbox assistance there, not here.
  • 2. Re: kernel-headers & VirtualBox. Still same problems! (
    999051 Newbie
    It's good advice, but i've read VBox docs and there's no info about kernel for Oracle Linux. Do you think i have to answer about linux headers and dependencies for Oarcle repo on VBox forums? )
    Well, anyway thanks for the answer!

P.S. I've already installed VBox, but only on Red Hat original kernel (because yum found required dependencies), if you didn't understand me, i will try to say in other words. How can i install VBox on 2.6.39.400-17.1 with right headers, or there is no headers for Oracle kernel?

Try to use this: yum info kernel-headers-$(uname -r) if you're using Oracle kernel.
  • 3. Re: kernel-headers & VirtualBox. Still same problems! (
    EdStevens Guru
    996048 wrote:
    Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, but i didn't found an answer anywhere! I'm trying to install VirtualBox 2.4.10 from terminal on my x86 Oracle Linux.
    Half year ago, when i tried first, i couldn't resolv the problem and still the same problem today - NO KERNEL HEADERS for ORACLE Linux in REPO! What did wrong after update? I can found headers only for RHEL original kernel, but i don't want to use 2.6.32 kernel version.

Can someone help me and describe true and complete installation VirtualBox for Oracle Linux??? Thanks ahead!
    In spite of Rukbat's response, I don't see that we are dealing with a vbox issue .... yet.

We can't know what you did wrong until you know what you did.

Exactly What command did you issue? *Exactly what response did you get?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 4. Re: kernel-headers & VirtualBox. Still same problems! (
    Dude! Guru
    2.6.39.400-17.1 is the Oracle UEK kernel, which means you have to install the header files for the UEK kernel. There are 2 kernel packages available in Oracle Linux: kernel (RHEL) and kernel-uek (oracle).

Try the following:

# yum -y install gcc kernel-uek-devel-$(uname -r)

P.S. Your initial post did not contain any useful info to be able to answer your question. When posting a question to any technical forum, please provide exact details about your installed Linux kernel and Linux distribution, including the command and error messages as shown on your screen if possible. Are you sure you use VirtualBox 2.4.10 and not 4.2.10?
  • 5. Re: kernel-headers & VirtualBox. Still same problems! (
    999051 Newbie
    Thanks Dude, seems to be all ok! I wiil try to install oracle kernel-uek-devel and then check kernel headers again! ;)

Edited by: 996048 on 25.03.2013 12:42
  • 6. Re: kernel-headers & VirtualBox. Still same problems! (
    Dude! Guru
    Trust me that's not the problem. You don't want to install kernel headers for 2.6.39 because that will break compatibility with the 2.6.32 kernel (RHCK/RHEL), and you don't need to. The 2.6.32 headers work for UEK too.

All you need to install is the kernel-uek-devel package for your specific kernel version as I outlined in my previous post.

A message similar to the following appears:

The headers for the current running kernel were not found. If the following
    module compilation fails then this could be the reason.
    The missing package can be probably installed with
    yum install kernel-uek-devel-2.6.39-200.24.1.el6uek.x86_64

However, the VirtualBox guest additions will compile and work properly. Without Failure.
  • 7. Re: kernel-headers & VirtualBox. Still same problems! (
    999051 Newbie
    Big thanks, Dude!!! This is exactly what i was looking for! ;)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points