11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2013 11:06 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

exp 10g imp 11g

Hi guys ,

kindly i need your support with me i have table in oracle 10g under windows must be imported to 11g under linux

please share with me the commands , also please check the below ex i do it but in 11g both exp and imp
      if there is different on my original case exp 10g and imp 11g
      exp abs/abs parfile=param.txt file=texp.dmp log=texp.log

[oracle@TCCBS ~]$ vim param.txt
      tables=texp
      query="where hiredate>'01-JAN-13'"

imp abs_mediation FROMUSER=abs TOUSER=abs_mediation file=/home/oracle/texp.dmp ignore=y
      and i get successfully but what i need to change in my command to be apply for exp 10g and imp 11g

please i post another thread which is related to same thing and guys here advice me to use expdp
      but it get failed with same oracle version so i move to use exp ?? please let me know if the exp not support for this (exp 10g and imp 11g)
      ?if yes not supported can please guide me with ex: or command or link for expdp 10g and impdp 11g

thanks
        • 1. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
          TSharma-Oracle
          You can export like you did using 10g utility and import it using 11g import(imp) utility. This should work. Are you getting any error?
          If you want to use expdp/impdp, use this link to learn

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/oracle-data-pump-10g.php
          http://blog.oraclecontractors.com/?p=626

Second option: If this is only 1 table then you can make a database link between 10g and 11g databases and pull the information over to 11g database.
          • 2. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
            VamshiDamidi
            Oracle has started to obsolete EXP and IMP in 11g and hence you might want to use EXPDP and IMPDP
            please use parameter version=COMPATIBLE during EXPDP in 10g and let us know if you have any problems.

Thanks,
            Vamshi .D
            • 3. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
              Hi,

You cannot use exp/imp from 10g to 11g and it will be unsuccessful.

Should use expdp/impdp from oracle 10g to 11g.

Let's say you use exp in 10g and try to imp in 11g Database server it gives errors. Can use 11g Client to perform imp through client to Database server.
              • 4. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
                Pavan DBA
                AFAIK exp/imp is still working in 11g also. moreover, OP asked from 10g to 11g which you can do using expdp/impdp without VERSION parameter. this parameter is required when you do it from 11g to 10g.
                • 5. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
                  Pavan DBA
                  are you sure 10g to 11g exp/imp will be unsuccessful? can you give example of what errors we might face?
                  • 6. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
                    Pavan DBA
                    the example you showed will work the same. are you facing any issues if you do this? if so, please post the errors
                    • 7. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
                      thanks man , i do my test on 11g both exp and imp , and i'm waiting to access the IN database to exp and it's 10g
                      and then imported to my database 11g , please give me the command to do that with ex:
                      cuz i hear from member here it's not work ??

thanks
                      • 8. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
                        Aman....
                        user4296629 wrote:
                        Hi,

You cannot use exp/imp from 10g to 11g and it will be unsuccessful.
                        And can you show that it would be unsuccessful ? Here is an output from 11203,
                        Export: Release 11.2.0.3.0 - Production on Tue Mar 26 12:58:17 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - Production
                        With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
                        Export done in US7ASCII character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
                        server uses AL32UTF8 character set (possible charset conversion)

About to export specified tables via Conventional Path ...
                        . . exporting table                            EMP         14 rows exported
                        EXP-00091: Exporting questionable statistics.
                        EXP-00091: Exporting questionable statistics.
                        Export terminated successfully with warnings.
                        [oracle@machine2 trace]$
                        Should use expdp/impdp from oracle 10g to 11g.

Let's say you use exp in 10g and try to imp in 11g Database server it gives errors. Can use 11g Client to perform imp through client to Database server.
                        Aman....
                        • 9. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
                          so can you please provide me the command that use to expdp from 10g and impdp to 11g ?
                          • 10. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
                            Pavan DBA
                            nope. i believe other friends might not read your question properly. exp from 10g and imp into 11g is always possible.

if you want to do the same in datapump, here are the commands

expdp directory=yourdirectoryname dumpfile=yourdumpfilename logfile=yourlogfilename tables='schemaname.tablename'

impdp directory=samedirectoryname dumpfile=samefilenameasabove logfile=difflogfilename remap_schema=fromuser:touser tables='tablename'

Note: use remap_schema only if you are exporting from different user and importing into different user. otherwise use below

impdp directory=samedirectoryname dumpfile=samefilenameasabove logfile=difflogfilename tables='schemaname.tablename'

Note: user with which you are exporting/importing should have read, write premissions on the directory. If not you need to grant that as sysdba
                            • 11. Re: exp 10g imp 11g
                              Srini Chavali-Oracle
                              Is this a continuation of your previous thread on this topic ? exp and imp