2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2013 9:32 AM by Catch-22 RSS

USB 3 problem with OEL 6.3

Hi,

after connecting an external 2.5" HDD (USB 3 ready!!) to one of my USB 3 interfaces I recognized a lot of xhci_hcd warnings. They all look the same.

xhci_hcd 0000:0e:00.0: WARN: Stalled endpoint.

I tried to connect while the OS was running.

According to the output of my lsmod command it seems to be that the xhci_hcd kernel module is loaded but not used. Here is the output:

xhci_hcd 123859 0

In spite of these warnings the HDD seems to work. May be with a reduced speed??

As I am a Linux newbie I don't know how to investigate further or to get rid of this problem.

Could you please give some advice?

Thanks and regards

Volker

P.S. I am using the following kernel: 2.6.39-200.24.1.el6uek.x86_64
        • 1. Re: USB 3 problem with OEL 6.3
          Tommyreynolds-Oracle
          You have encountered the peril of installing an enterprise server distribution on laptop/desktop hardware. Since servers typically do not use USB 3 storage, this is not extensively tested.

I suggest installing a more user-oriented distribution, such as Fedora, and then using http://www.virtualbox.org to create an OL6 guest machine.
          • 2. Re: USB 3 problem with OEL 6.3
            Catch-22
            Oracle Linux or any other Linux distribution based on the source of RHEL is designed for enterprise server hardware. However, the USB 3 issue you are experiencing is not an issue with Enterprise Linux only and apparently affects other Linux distributions too. The solution for the problem is usually a device firmware and Linux kernel upgrade. You could try to upgrade to OL 6.4 and use the latest Oracle UEK2 kernel or switch to a Debian based desktop distribution, such as Ubuntu, which deploys the latest versions of available Linux software.