This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 8:40 PM by user10878219 RSS

Web applications vs desktop apps

811078 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

Am new to sofware development, i would like to become a developer of siftwares for businesses using java, i have been developing swing applications,i just wanted to know are desktop apps becoming extinct, being replaced by web apps in all, or there certain types of development that suit desktop apps or web apps.

Which route should i take in learning software development?
  • 1. Re: Web applications vs desktop apps
    gimbal2 Guru
    user9966850 wrote:
    Hi all,

Am new to sofware development, i would like to become a developer of siftwares for businesses using java,
    Okay. enterprise scale development it is then
    i have been developing swing applications,
    Yeah you're about 10-15 years too late with that
    i just wanted to know are desktop apps becoming extinct,
    Sort of. They will never go away completely as web applications simply don't provide the same user experience as desktop applications do. But web based stuff is really the norm right now.
    being replaced by web apps in all, or there certain types of development that suit desktop apps or web apps.
    There isn't really a "type of development". You need to learn how to develop for web/enterprise environments
    >
    Which route should i take in learning software development?
    Get a book? Spend weeks studying and experimenting? I recommend starting to learn the ins and outs of the environment (HTTP, HTML, Javascript, Ajax, CSS, multi threading), learn to build and deploy basic servlets on Apache Tomcat 7 and from there expand your knowledge into the realm of the Java Enterprise Edition, or picking a popular alternative such as Spring. Amazon user reviews can guide you to which books are good enough to buy.
  • 2. Re: Web applications vs desktop apps
    user10878219 Newbie
    Start with basics of jee development with jsp , jsf ,servlets , design pattern.
    then go with one of the framework such as Struts.

Edited by: user10878219 on Mar 29, 2013 8:40 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points