7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 9:00 AM by Neo-b RSS

Primary database is RAC and Physical standby is single instance

Neo-b
      Hello All,

I am using Oracle RAC 11.2.0.3 as primary database, we are going to start using Oracle data guard.
      So I am designing my infrastructure and planing to use Oracle 11.2.0.3 Single instance as my physical stand by database.

My question is it feasible to have my standby database as single instance while the primary is RAC?
      is it feasible to build my Oracle single instance standby database from the RMAN backup of the RAC primary database?
      Is there any restrictions (or any points to be taken into consideration) since my primary database is RAC while the physical standby is Oracle single instance?

in the below link
      [http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28294/concepts.htm#i1039416]
      it was mentioned that primary can be RAC or single and same for standby, but my question is it feasible to have primary as RAC while standby as single instance? or it should be like each others?
      The primary database can be either a single-instance Oracle database or an Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) database.
      Similar to a primary database, a standby database can be either a single-instance Oracle database or an Oracle RAC database.
      Regards,