This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 2:42 AM by Pukka-jDez RSS

JRE and 64-bit IE 10

Boholdt Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone

I have tried to install Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 64-bit with the latest version of JRE (version 7 Update 17).

If I will run the 64-bit version of JRE, Internet Explorer 10 only run the 32-bit version of JRE.

I have followed the guide on http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win8_faq.xml.

It is an error from Microsoft/Oracle since Internet Explorer 10 only will run the 32-bit version of JRE when i have activated "Enhanced Protected Mode "?

I will be very glad if someone have a solution I can try, or alternativily Oracle can send the information to Microsoft, or better if Oracle please can confirme the error.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Boholdt
  • 1. Re: JRE and 64-bit IE 10
    1000086 Newbie
    Boholdt wrote:
    If I will run the 64-bit version of JRE, Internet Explorer 10 only run the 32-bit version of JRE.
    How do you prove that?
    I have IE10 in Win7 x64, running with Enable Protected Mode checked on the Security tab, and Enable Enhanced Protected Mode checked on the Advanced tab, in Internet Options.
    On the Manage add-ons page, it shows "Enabled" for both the Plug-In SSV Helper and Plug-In 2 SSV Helper lines with "32-bit and 64-bit" indicated.

So, exactly how are you determining that only the 32-bit JRE is being employed?

Thanks.

Edited by: Darr247 on Mar 30, 2013 12:58 PM
  • 2. Re: JRE and 64-bit IE 10
    Pukka-jDez Newbie
    I also have this problem. I have verified the issue from the java console by pressing s and see that the Program Files (x86) values are used.
    Also, if I uninstall the 32 bit version, although the 64 bit plugin says it is loaded the applet fails to run. I have checked that the enabled Enhanced Protected Mode is ticked and restarted the machine.
  • 3. Re: JRE and 64-bit IE 10
    Pukka-jDez Newbie
    Another update on this that I have yet to test as I don't want to update to IE10 at the moment.
    In the java deployment properties, the browser is specified and for mine it points at "Program files (x86)" I think that changing this to the 64 bit path would solve the issue.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points