This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 6:23 PM by yxes2013 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I told you forget about "standby" :( , you are not listening...i will spank you by and by ;)
  • 16. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    yxes2013 wrote:
    Thanks for the in-depth analogy. :)

But to be simplistic is, I just want a script. or do you mean there is no such script?
    What, exactly, do you want the script to do? If you are trying to determine whether a database is running on a particular server is running and to start a (different?) database on a different server if the first database is down, it sounds like you'd want to adapt something that would normally be used to manage a standby database. But you've told us to forget about a standby database
    You're going to have to develop the scripts that you need for your unique environment.
    I am not even sure if our environment is unique :( maybe it is not.
    Perhaps there are a handful of people crazy enough to attempt to build something similar to what you are trying to build. I can't imagine why you would. But if you're doing something completely custom, it's going to end up being highly unique.
    I only want a script for the non-unique environment, and then I will make it "unique" fit.
    So you want a script to start a standby database? You could start with Niall Litchfileld's You Probably Don't Need DataGuard presentation or this Database Journal article on a manual standby

Justin
  • 17. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Ok, I am maybe confusing. To make it clear my issue is related to RAC setup, not Standby or Dataguard.

Please check this

RAC on active/passive nodes

This is same thing I want to do. But as always others ask why not active/active.

also this:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Serviceguard/Cluster-Active-Passive-in-ORACLE-10g-R2-Enterprise-w/td-p/4735803

And check for "hakuna matata's comment" of poor man's script.

Thanks

Edited by: yxes2013 on 31.3.2013 23:16
  • 18. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    The two links you provided appear to be discussions about using HP ServiceGuard. This is an operating system failover technology that is completely different from either RAC or DataGuard. The various flavors of high-end Unix generally have something like this. Linux, to the best of my knowledge, does not. Of course, linux is open source, so you are certainly welcome to go implement something and contribute it back to the community. But that's going to be a rather large undertaking.

Justin
  • 19. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    Maran Viswarayar Pro
    This sounds more like Rac-ONE setup where you only have one instance running(Active) and incase if anything goes wrong with the server , the DB will swingover to node 2 (Passive) or you can relocate to Node 2 if you want to do OS patchin or DB security patches update

This is exactly same like RAC but with Single instance.
  • 20. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Hayyss....you mean you all is not aware of this kind of setup? :(
  • 21. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    Maran Viswarayar Pro
    It depends on what you need...

RAC-ONE may help you.. You need to install oracle home on atleast 2 machines and install grid infrastructure(ASM+CLUSTERWARE) and configure and all the netowkring components. Create a Single instance database via OUI. THe shared storage should be able to be accessed by both Nodes.
  • 22. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    I must be honest that I have been reading the thread since you have posted but I restricted myself from replying because I couldn't even a wild idea that what you are trying to , why you are trying to do and where does the "script" fits in? So here is my take after reading the thread today. One, stop asking for "poor man" or whatever the heck "script" because none can give it you , at least not till you explain in clear words that what you want to do. Just putting up a word RAC or standby doesn't mean you are doing the same thing too, at least not in this thread. Two, explain why you want such kind of thing and if you can't, bring in that person who suggested it (if it wasn't you) over here so that at least we know what we are even discussing. Third, oracle RAC, predominantly is an Active-Active solution. If you don't want it, there is RAC One Node(as Maran mentioned) which is able to work with the oracle RAC software and works as an Active-Passive solution. And last, why not active-active, what's the harm in it?

Aman....
  • 23. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    Maran Viswarayar Pro
    Active-Active Licensing ;)
  • 24. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Maran Viswarayar wrote:
    Active-Active Licensing ;)
    sql>l
    sql> append "pay as per you grow ;-)
    Aman....
  • 25. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Thanks dear :) Ok maybe its called RAC1
    Two, explain why you want such kind of thing and if you can't, bring in that person who suggested it
    Its my boss, maybe because of expensive licensing that is why.(as maran guessed)
    And last, why not active-active, what's the harm in it?
    I am only new hire in this company and the dba left awol, maybe he does not know how to setup RAC or because its expensive? or because existing resources is not qualified to be RAC?

I already asked billy abound this and he mentioned it is hard to RAC our existing config. So maybe RAC-one will do?

So can you share me docs on how to setup RAC1?

Is DAS(direct access storage) supported in it?

Thanksssss

Edited by: yxes2013 on 1.4.2013 1:28
  • 26. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    yxes2013 Newbie
    RAC-ONE may help you.. You need to install oracle home on atleast 2 machines and install grid infrastructure(ASM+CLUSTERWARE) and
    configure and all the netowkring components. Create a Single instance database via OUI. THe shared storage should be able to be accessed by both Nodes.
    Can you give me docs on this one?

For 10gR2 SLES 10

Sybrand said I need oracle clusterware + vendor clusterware :( so it seems complicated
  • 27. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    yxes2013 Newbie
    I googled Rac One and I see its a new technology, while the active-passive node I talk about existed long time ago. :(
  • 28. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    Maran Viswarayar Pro
    Application clustering is different from DB clustering..PLease go through the fundamentals...
  • 29. Re: Active-Passive HA Topology
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Im not talking about application clustering :( only db clustering.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points