This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2013 5:01 PM by EdStevens RSS

Cold backup

$phinx19 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

DB:11g XE

I recently took a cold backup of my database which is in archive log mode and did not include my redologs in the cold backup. When I restored the coldbackup the following error is thrown at:

SQL> alter database open;
alter database open
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00338: log 1 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
ORA-00312: online log 1 thread 1: 'F:\ORAHOME_10G_XPRESS\APP\ORACLE\FLASH_RECOVERY_AREA\XE\ONLINELOG\O1_MF_1_8CKBTPXT_.LOG'

To get out of this I performed a incomplete recovery
recover database until cancel;
alter database open resetlogs;
There were no transaction or any changes in the database that happened since the moment i took the coldbackup as it is a test database.
  • 1. Re: Cold backup
    sybrand_b Guru
    You didn't tell us what 'cold backup' is, nor how you restored it.
    If you would have done this using cold backup in RMAN (mount the database and backup database) this shouldn't have happened.

-----------
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA
  • 2. Re: Cold backup
    $phinx19 Newbie
    HI SB,

The cold backup was taken using OS commands and restoration was also done using OS commands and from the documents that I have read so far, even If I will take a cold backup using RMAN at mount, I will need to open my DB after restoration using resetlogs option as RMAN does not backup redologs. Here is the link that I have referred:

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.in/2008/05/rman-cold-consistent-backup-and-restore.html

Regards,
    Sphinx
  • 3. Re: Cold backup
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Read the MOS document
    How to RESTORE / RECOVER COLD RMAN backup without OPEN RESETLOGS [ID 1077022.1]
    How to take a Cold Backup of Database Using Rman [ID 1391357.1]
  • 4. Re: Cold backup
    EdStevens Guru
    $phinx19 wrote:
    HI SB,

The cold backup was taken using OS commands and restoration was also done using OS commands and from the documents that I have read so far, even If I will take a cold backup using RMAN at mount, I will need to open my DB after restoration using resetlogs option as RMAN does not backup redologs. Here is the link that I have referred:

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.in/2008/05/rman-cold-consistent-backup-and-restore.html

Regards,
    Sphinx
    If you had read Hemant's post thoroughly, you would have seen this statement: "The point of my post is that RMAN does not backup Online Redo Log files and since I did not have Online Redo Log files available, I had to OPEN RESETLOGS."

The open resetlogs was NOT because the database was inconsistent, it's because there were no online redo logs with with to open the database. The RESETLOGS re-initializes (re-creates, if needed) the redologs.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points