1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 12:58 AM by yxes2013

Grid Control

yxes2013
      Hi all,

10g
      SLES 11

Kindly help me in this undertaking.
      Oracle® Enterprise Manager Grid Control Installation and Configuration Guide
      10g Release 5 (10.2.0.5.0)
      Part Number E10953-15
      18 Configuring Enterprise Manager for Active and Passive Environments
      18.1 Using Virtual Host Names for Active and Passive High Availability Environments in Enterprise Manager Database Control
      Set Up the Alias for the Virtual Host Name and Virtual IP Address

You can set up the alias for the virtual host name and virtual IP address by either allowing the clusterware to set it up automatically or 
      by setting it up manually before installation and startup of Oracle services. The virtual host name must be static and resolvable consistently 
      on the network. All nodes participating in the setup must resolve the virtual IP address to the same host name. Standard TCP tools similar 
      to nslookup and traceroute commands can be used to verify the set up.
      My question is, for the paragraph above, there seems to be missing details. It is assumed that the reader already know how to do it?

Can you help me find the missing detail docs for this?

Thanks,

zxy
        • 1. Re: Grid Control
          asahide
          Hi,

Here ?
          <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B14099_19/manage.1012/b16242/configs.htm#BACIHEDJ>>

Regards,
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Grid Control
            rp0428
            Please mark your HA questions in this thread ANSWERED and repost them in the HA forum. You will get much better help there as HA is a specialized topic.
            https://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=509
            • 3. Re: Grid Control
              yxes2013
              That is the one I posted :(
              Other than that one please.
              • 4. Re: Grid Control
                JustinCave
                Again, posting duplicate questions in multiple threads and multiple forums is not going to produce good results. There are at least two other threads where you post almost, but not quite, identical questions.
                My question is, for the paragraph above, there seems to be missing details. It is assumed that the reader already know how to do it?
                What does the "it" in the phrase "how to do it" refer to in this sentence? Based on your other threads, I'm guessing that you mean "It is assumed that the reader already knows how to configure a cold failover cluster using their operating system's clustering technology". If that is the case, then, yes, that is a true statement. You've posted a link to documentation on Enterprise Manager. Enterprise Manager is used to monitor an existing Oracle database. It stands to reason that if you are trying to configure EM to monitor a database that the database already exists. Monitoring a database that doesn't exist would be a rather pointless exercise. And installing and configuring a database is going to be well outside the scope of EM documentation.

Justin
                • 5. Re: Grid Control
                  yxes2013
                  Yeah Thanks Justie :)

You and Hemant have cleared my cloudy mind about CFC-Active/Passive. That i should need help from the Dell Vendor clusterware.

I tried searching for DELL clusterware on google, and I got this:
                  http://kyuoracleblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/best_practices_oracle_clusterware_session355_wp.pdf
                  Is this docs intended generic for DELL?
                  • 6. Re: Grid Control
                    JustinCave
                    yxes2013 wrote:
                    Yeah Thanks Justie :)

You and Hemant have cleared my cloudy mind about CFC-Active/Passive. That i should need help from the Dell Vendor clusterware.
                    Are you sure such a beast exists? I'm not aware of any such thing as "Dell vendor clusterware"
                    I tried searching for DELL clusterware on google, and I got this:
                    http://kyuoracleblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/best_practices_oracle_clusterware_session355_wp.pdf
                    Is this docs for DELL?
                    Not obviously, no. It appears to be documentation for creating a RAC cluster using Oracle's clustering. The author happens to be employed by Dell which is meaningless to you. You've previously indicated that you don't want to create a RAC cluster because you want to ensure that the second node is not active.

Justin
                    • 7. Re: Grid Control
                      yxes2013
                      Ok fine, reasons accepted and deemed valid :)

I think this one if finally for DELL?

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps1q06-20050300-Quest.pdf

Edited by: yxes2013 on 1.4.2013 22:43
                      • 8. Re: Grid Control
                        JustinCave
                        Again, that's documentation on creating a RAC cluster. It happens to involve Dell hardware but that is not material to you. This is not creating an operating system cold failover cluster which seems to be your recent desire. It is not using "Dell vendor clusterware". It's doing a standard active/active RAC cluster install.

Justin
                        • 9. Re: Grid Control
                          yxes2013
                          It so weird :( there is none at all CFC documentation you can find in google, whether on any hardware brands. Don't you think so?
                          • 10. Re: Grid Control
                            JustinCave
                            Again, if you want to create an operating system level cluster, you need operating system level clustering software. That is provided by the operating system vendor (or a third party for the operating system) not by the hardware vendor. That's why you've been told now multiple times that there is no such thing as "Dell vendor clusterware". If you search for something that does not exist, you're unlikely to find anything useful.

In your duplicate thread (one of the reasons it's annoying to have multiple duplicate threads with different history and context) I pointed you at one operating system clusterware solution for linux. Hemant suggested others. If you're dead set on using operating system clusterware to create a cluster rather than using RAC, you'll need to investigate one or more of those options to determine which one(s) work for you.

Justin
                            • 11. Re: Grid Control
                              yxes2013
                              Thanks justin :)

Yes I got it now.

So what I am trying to do is ...go for Oracle Clusterware as substitute for vendor clusterware or Operating System Clusterware.

Clarification...can I install Oracle Clusterware 11gR2 on SLES 10 and Oracle Database 10gR2?

Thanks
                              • 12. Re: Grid Control
                                oralicious
                                yxes2013 wrote:
                                Thanks justin :)

Yes I got it now.

So what I am trying to do is ...go for Oracle Clusterware as substitute for vendor clusterware or Operating System Clusterware.

Clarification...can I install Oracle Clusterware 11gR2 on SLES 10 and Oracle Database 10gR2?
                                yes and yes. clusterware will go on any platform that supports RAC. clusterware 11.2.0.3 is certified on sles 10.
                                • 13. Re: Grid Control
                                  yxes2013

SLES 10
                                  10gR2

So I have 2 Units Dell Poweredge servers and DAS storage, which can be mounted on both servers but one at a time only (active-passive).
                                  Can I still install the Oracle Clusterware on them?

Thanks..
                                  • 14. Re: Grid Control
                                    oralicious
                                    question, why go for oracle clusterware over vendor clusterware? did you do a feature and cost comparison?

Ive used RHEL clusterware to do the exact thing youve been talking about, works fine and I would have imagined a fraction of cost. Heres a case of what youre looking for with the SUSE pacemaker

Re: ASM and Linux Pacemaker Cluster
                                    1 2 Previous Next