1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 8:01 PM by yxes2013 RSS

OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware

yxes2013
      Hi all,

10gR2
      SLES 10

We haver 2 units Dell powered Servers connected to DAS shared storage.
      Can I use OCFS2 as vendor clusterware?

Thanks a lot,

zxy,
        • 1. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
          Hemant K Chitale
          DAS is not "shared storage". A SAN or a NAS or an NFS mount can be "shared storage".

OCFS2 is not clusterware. It is a filesystem. You need Oracle Clusterware.

Hemant K Chitale
          • 2. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
            yxes2013
            Thanks hem, you made my cloudy mind clearer :)

Can you give me the requirement to setup an Active-Passive Cold Failover Cluster (CFC) environments?

How do I know if what clusterware have been installed in our server? Does this mean that when we use DAS, there is no need to use clusterware? Because DAS is not a requirement for failover?
            And or we can not be able to setup active-passive (cold failover)?

Thanks....

Edited by: yxes2013 on 1.4.2013 20:19
            • 3. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
              Hemant K Chitale
              By definition "DAS" is directly attached to one server only. Is your DAS such a device that supports multiple interfaces -- i.e. connectivity from multiple servers ? Is it really a SAN or a NAS underlying ?

Hemant K Chitale
              • 4. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                yxes2013
                Thanks.....Yes it is :(

Can I make it SAN instead? How do I configure it as SAN? The sysadmin seems not knowledgeable about it.

I want to install RAC cluster but I do not how the requirements. If I can convert it to SAN maybe I can proceed to go RAC.
                • 5. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                  Hemant K Chitale
                  No, you can't "convert" a DAS into a SAN. A SAN starts life as a SAN from day 1. It should be built as a SAN upfront.

We have no idea about your storage. Ask your hardware and storage vendors if your DAS can service multiple nodes (hosts) and, if so, how it can do so.

Hemant K Chitale
                  • 6. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                    yxes2013
                    We do not have vendor support already as these server&storage were bought 4 years ago :( all we got to check are the Dell's website and google.

But yes, I guess our DAS can service multiple nodes (hosts) becuase we tried to install shared database instance and both servers can start open it one at a time (active-passive) not active-active.

My question is do you have scripts that manages active-passive mode? or Virtual IP bonding :)
                    • 7. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                      Hemant K Chitale
                      do you have scripts that manages active-passive mode? or Virtual IP bonding
                      No.

I have worked with vendor clusterware to do this -- on HPUX MC/ServiceGuard, on Solaris SunCluster, on IBM AIX HACMP, on Tru64 TruCluster. But not scripts on Linux.

Hemant K Chitale
                      Corrected the "IBM" to "IBM AIX" to clarify that all pairs are OS-ClusterWare pairs.

Edited by: Hemant K Chitale on Apr 2, 2013 2:11 PM
                      • 8. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                        yxes2013
                        Is there one for Dell poweredge? you forgot to mention it :)
                        • 9. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                          yxes2013
                          I tried searching for DELL clusterware on google, and I got this:
                          http://kyuoracleblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/best_practices_oracle_clusterware_session355_wp.pdf
                          Is this docs intended generic for DELL?

Edited by: yxes2013 on 1.4.2013 22:38
                          • 10. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                            JustinCave
                            The vendor clusterware that is being discussed comes from the operating system vendor not the hardware vendor. It seems highly unlikely that Dell would bother creating a proprietary clustering technology since they are a hardware vendor. If you're looking for the linux equivalent of ServiceGuard (and the various competing technologies) you'd probably have to license it. HP has a version of ServiceGuard for linux

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=SGLX1120-DEMO

You could potentially use that to create a linux cluster and run an unclustered Oracle on top of that. But that's going to involve a decent amount of work on your part to figure out how (and whether) you can get ServiceGuard to run on your version of linux and to read and understand the documentation for ServiceGuard. And, of course, you'd need to license the software from HP.

Justin
                            • 11. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                              Hemant K Chitale
                              I specified pairs of OS-Clusterware. NOT HWVendor-Clusterware.

Justin has identified an option. There are "free" Linux cluster implementations as well. Your SuseLinux vendor may also be able to offer you something. Oracle, too, has Linux ClusterWare (and 11gR2 Grid Infrastructure can host a 10gR2 database).

The work that you have to put in is
                              a. Understand the ClusterWare
                              b. Read the documentation
                              c. Write your own scripts
                              d. Integrate them with the ClusterWare

Hemant K Chitale
                              • 12. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                                yxes2013
                                I thank you all :) Now its getting clearer and clearer.
                                ServiceGuard to run on your version of linux and to read and understand the documentation for ServiceGuard. And, of course, you'd need to license the software from HP.
                                So I can run HP serviceguard on SLES 10 on DELL?
                                • 13. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                                  yxes2013
                                  I have worked with vendor clusterware to do this -- on HPUX MC/ServiceGuard, on Solaris SunCluster, on IBM AIX HACMP, on Tru64 TruCluster. But not scripts on Linux.
                                  So you mean you have scripts on each of these 4? Can I borrow them? I will convert them to linux :) I guess they are just similar, right?

Thanks
                                  • 14. Re: OCFS2 vs Vendor Clusterware
                                    yxes2013
                                    Thanks hem,
                                    I specified pairs of OS-Clusterware. NOT HWVendor-Clusterware.
                                    Justin has identified an option. There are "free" Linux cluster implementations as well. 
                                    Your SuseLinux vendor may also be able to offer you something. 
                                    Oracle, too, has Linux ClusterWare (and 11gR2 Grid Infrastructure can host a 10gR2 database).

The work that you have to put in is
                                    a. Understand the ClusterWare
                                    b. Read the documentation
                                    c. Write your own scripts
                                    d. Integrate them with the ClusterWare
                                    Can you suggest only one best option please...I do not have the luxury of time learning and testing all those types of clusterware :(. I know you know what is best for me ;) and the easiest to do.
                                    1 2 Previous Next