6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 6:44 AM by Justin_Mungal RSS

11gr2 installation in LINUX

We would like to install 11gR2 on RHEL6.4. My question is that can we install oracle database in one partition including datafiles, control files , log files and any other files in one partition instead of other partitions like /u02 or /u03. We would like to use one partition /u01 for everything. Please give me what is tha best practices and how i can do that.
        • 1. Re: 11gr2 installation in LINUX
          sb92075
          user10890048 wrote:
          We would like to install 11gR2 on RHEL6.4.
          not every V11R2 is supported on RHEL6
          My question is that can we install oracle database in one partition including datafiles, control files , log files and any other files in one partition instead of other partitions like /u02 or /u03. We would like to use one partition /u01 for everything. Please give me what is tha best practices and how i can do that.
          you are free to install what you want where you want to do so; such as everything under /u01
          • 2. Re: 11gr2 installation in LINUX
            EdStevens
            user10890048 wrote:
            We would like to install 11gR2 on RHEL6.4. My question is that can we install oracle database in one partition including datafiles, control files , log files and any other files in one partition instead of other partitions like /u02 or /u03. We would like to use one partition /u01 for everything. Please give me what is tha best practices and how i can do that.
            You seem to have a mis-understanding about what "/u01", "/u02", etc really are. They are NOT partitions. They are directories created in the root directory. They may (or may not) be mounted to separate partitions.
            All of my servers have a /u01, a /u02, and an /oradata. /oradata is further divided like -- /oradata/hrtest, /oradata/fintest, /oradata/hrdev, etc, etc. In that example, /oradata/hrtest is mounted to a seperate partition (actually a whole seperate lun) from /oradata/fintest. And both are seperate partitions (luns in my case) from the root, where /oradata lives.

You are free to create any directory structure you like, and mount any directory or sub-directory or sub-sub-directory to its own partition. Oracle only knows file and directory names. The mounting of devices to those directories is a few layers of abstraction away from oracle.

What problem are you trying to address by keeping everything under /u01?
            • 3. Re: 11gr2 installation in LINUX
              damorgan
              I do not recommend installing on anything later than 5.8.
              • 4. Re: 11gr2 installation in LINUX
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                Currently, only 11.2.0.3 is certified on Linux 6.x - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/relnotes.112/e23558/toc.htm#CHDFHIEA

11.2.0.3 is only available on My Oracle Support (https://support.oracle.com), access to which requires a paid support contract with Oracle.

If you do not have access to 11.2.0.3, then you will have to use Linux 5.x (5.8 is recommended)

HTH
                Srini
                • 5. Re: 11gr2 installation in LINUX
                  Janasheen
                  I think Better to install Oracle linux 5.6
                  then u install Oracle 11g 11.2.0.1on it
                  • 6. Re: 11gr2 installation in LINUX
                    Justin_Mungal
                    damorgan wrote:
                    I do not recommend installing on anything later than 5.8.
                    May I ask why? Since it's certified I can only imagine you've run into problems with it. I haven't run into major issues, outside of some installation headaches when I was building a RAC cluster on RHEL 6.

Edited by: Justin Mungal on Apr 19, 2013 6:43 AM - Since 11.2.0.3 is certified anyway... which is what I used.