2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 1:42 PM by 977635 RSS

why is log_archive_dest_state_2 showing as "RESET"

Oracle 11.2, Solaris 10, Data Guard w/DG Broker (production environment)

While making some changes to relocate our production standby database, I first set our primary log_archive_dest_state_2 to DEFER.
      Then, i confirmed it was set as DEFER.

Next, I shutdown our standby database and relocated all of its files to new locations, alter the database for locations, and started it back up in mount mode.

Then, I went back to our primary database and attempted to reset the log_archive_dest_state_2 to ENABLE.
      Even though it accepted my command, when I checked it, I found that the value was set to "RESET" (instead of ENABLE).

I confirmed logs were working normally and all was well with no gap.

I suspect this all has something to do with our DG Broker which is a lot more trouble than it is worth, especially since we don't use FSFO and we only have one Standby database.

Any thoughts on this?

Oddly, it is now showing as ENABLE again.

Edited by: 974632 on Apr 3, 2013 12:18 PM
        • 1. Re: why is log_archive_dest_state_2 showing as "RESET"

What I know about RESET is, if you want to use the default value of the parameter that has been changed, you must reset it.
          alter system reset parameter scope...
          I thinking you changed it to DEFER and after the shutdown Broker ( educated guess ) reset it.

Found this note :

Log_archive_dest_state_2 Automatically Set To RESET Causing Standy Database To Fall Out Of Sync [ID 1470986.1]

( looks like I should report a typo to Oracle )

Best Regards

Edited by: mseberg on Apr 3, 2013 2:38 PM
          • 2. Re: why is log_archive_dest_state_2 showing as "RESET"
            Thank you. That sounds about as good of an answer as I can imagine.
            I think since we are not using DG Fast Start Failover, there is not much advantage to using the DG Broker since we only have one standby database.
            It causes more grief than it does benefit.
            Thanks again.