1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2013 8:55 AM by sb92075 RSS

    TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

    992731
      Hi everyone,

      I installed oracle database 11g2 software along with the sample database named ORCL, on Centos 6.3 Linux platform.


      Local login works well,
      RMAN-LINUX[orcl]/home/oracle>sqlplus / as sysdba
      
      SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Apr 4 09:59:41 2013
      
      Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
      
      
      Connected to:
      Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
      With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
      
      SQL> connect system
      Enter password:
      Connected.
      SQL> show parameter remote
      
      NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
      ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
      remote_dependencies_mode             string      TIMESTAMP
      remote_listener                      string
      remote_login_passwordfile            string      EXCLUSIVE
      remote_os_authent                    boolean     FALSE
      remote_os_roles                      boolean     FALSE
      result_cache_remote_expiration       integer     0
      SQL> select * from V$PWFILE_USERS;
      
      USERNAME                       SYSDB SYSOP SYSAS
      ------------------------------ ----- ----- -----
      SYS                            TRUE  TRUE  FALSE
      Now I can't access to the database instance from remote locations (nor AIX neither windows 7).
      TNS Ping Utility for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 04-AVR. -2013 09:49:35
      
      Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
      
      Used parameter files:
      /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
      
      TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
      Here are server side listener.ora and client side tnsnames.ora
      # listener.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/listener.ora
      # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
      
      SID_LIST_LISTENER =
        (SID_LIST =
          (SID_DESC =
            (GLOBAL_DBNAME = orcl)
            (ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1)
            (SID_NAME = orcl)
          )
        )
      
      LISTENER =
        (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = RMAN-LINUX)(PORT = 1521))
        )
      
      ADR_BASE_LISTENER = /u01/app/oracle
      # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle10/product/10.2.0/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
      # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
      
      
      ORCL =
        (DESCRIPTION =
         (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.10.1.209) (PORT = 1521))
          (CONNECT_DATA =
            (SID = orcl)
         )
       )
      Please help me to identify the cause of the problem.

      Best Regards,

      Bilal
        • 1. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
          FreddieEssex
          Is your listener started??
          lsnrctl status listener
          • 2. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
            JohnWatson
            It looks to me as though you are using the wrong files. Your tnsping is trying to read files in
            /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/network/admin
            but your tnsnames.ora file is
            /u01/app/oracle10/product/10.2.0/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
            So copy the tnsnames.ora to /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/network/admin and try again.
            • 3. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
              Osama_Mustafa
              Check
              http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/
              • 4. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                sushaant
                Check host(location /etc) file that DNS is mapped to physical IP address. Also try to connect by providing service name with user id n pwd
                • 5. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                  992731
                  Is your listener started??
                  RMAN-LINUX[orcl]/home/oracle>lsnrctl status
                  
                  LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 04-APR-2013 11:29:55
                  
                  Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
                  
                  Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=RMAN-LINUX)(PORT=1521)))
                  STATUS of the LISTENER
                  ------------------------
                  Alias                     LISTENER
                  Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
                  Start Date                04-APR-2013 09:27:23
                  Uptime                    0 days 2 hr. 2 min. 32 sec
                  Trace Level               off
                  Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
                  SNMP                      OFF
                  Listener Parameter File   /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/listener.ora
                  Listener Log File         /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/RMAN-LINUX/listener/alert/log.xml
                  Listening Endpoints Summary...
                    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=RMAN-LINUX)(PORT=1521)))
                  Services Summary...
                  Service "ORCL" has 2 instance(s).
                    Instance "ORCL", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                  Service "orclXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                  The command completed successfully
                  • 6. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                    992731
                    @JohnWatson :

                    Actually I copied that tnsnames.ora file from a server where oracle10 is the location.

                    The following:
                    # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle10/product/10.2.0/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
                    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
                    is just a comment, but physically, the file is in its correct location
                    • 7. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                      992731
                      @sushaant:

                      /etc/hosts is good
                      RMAN-LINUX[orcl]/home/oracle>cat /etc/hosts
                      127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain
                      10.10.1.209     RMAN-LINUX RMAN-LINUX.example.local
                      login from remote unix
                      wi2algoras[]/u01/app/oracle>sqlplus system@ORCL
                      
                      SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Jeu. Avr. 4 11:40:15 2013
                      
                      Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
                      
                      Enter password:
                      ERROR:
                      ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
                      
                      
                      Enter user-name:
                      • 8. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                        EdStevens
                        Freddie Essex wrote:
                        Is your listener started??
                        lsnrctl status listener
                        The reported error has nothing to do with the listner started or not. The request never left the client box, it never got to the listener. Checking the listener for this error is a waste of time.
                        • 9. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                          992731
                          here is the sqlnet.ora in remote client side
                          # sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
                          # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
                          
                          NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)
                          no sqlnet.ora in server side, or I'm in the wrong location?
                          RMAN-LINUX[orcl]/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin>ll
                          total 16
                          -rw-r--r--. 1 oracle dba  493 Apr  4 09:19 listener1304049AM1907.bak
                          -rw-r--r--. 1 oracle dba  465 Apr  4 09:30 listener.ora
                          drwxr-xr-x. 2 oracle dba 4096 Feb 18 14:01 samples
                          -rw-r--r--. 1 oracle dba  187 May  9  2007 shrept.lst
                          Thanks for helping me
                          • 10. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                            EdStevens
                            sushaant wrote:
                            Check host(location /etc) file that DNS is mapped to physical IP address. Also try to connect by providing service name with user id n pwd
                            Another red herring and waste of time. The reported error means the request never got far enough to need to map a name to an IP address. Just as it never got far enough to need to check the listener.
                            • 11. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                              EdStevens
                              989728 wrote:
                              Hi everyone,

                              I installed oracle database 11g2 software along with the sample database named ORCL, on Centos 6.3 Linux platform.


                              Local login works well,
                              RMAN-LINUX[orcl]/home/oracle>sqlplus / as sysdba
                              
                              SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Apr 4 09:59:41 2013
                              
                              Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
                              
                              
                              Connected to:
                              Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
                              With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
                              
                              SQL> connect system
                              Enter password:
                              Connected.
                              SQL> show parameter remote
                              
                              NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
                              ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
                              remote_dependencies_mode             string      TIMESTAMP
                              remote_listener                      string
                              remote_login_passwordfile            string      EXCLUSIVE
                              remote_os_authent                    boolean     FALSE
                              remote_os_roles                      boolean     FALSE
                              result_cache_remote_expiration       integer     0
                              SQL> select * from V$PWFILE_USERS;
                              
                              USERNAME                       SYSDB SYSOP SYSAS
                              ------------------------------ ----- ----- -----
                              SYS                            TRUE  TRUE  FALSE
                              Now I can't access to the database instance from remote locations (nor AIX neither windows 7).
                              TNS Ping Utility for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 04-AVR. -2013 09:49:35
                              
                              Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
                              
                              Used parameter files:
                              /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
                              
                              TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                              Here are server side listener.ora and client side tnsnames.ora
                              # listener.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/listener.ora
                              # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
                              
                              SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                              (SID_LIST =
                              (SID_DESC =
                              (GLOBAL_DBNAME = orcl)
                              (ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1)
                              (SID_NAME = orcl)
                              )
                              )
                              
                              LISTENER =
                              (DESCRIPTION =
                              (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = RMAN-LINUX)(PORT = 1521))
                              )
                              
                              ADR_BASE_LISTENER = /u01/app/oracle
                              # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle10/product/10.2.0/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
                              # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
                              
                              
                              ORCL =
                              (DESCRIPTION =
                              (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.10.1.209) (PORT = 1521))
                              (CONNECT_DATA =
                              (SID = orcl)
                              )
                              )
                              Please help me to identify the cause of the problem.

                              Best Regards,

                              Bilal
                              You've been pointed to this already, but I see no indication you followed up on it:
                              see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/] ora-12154 TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

                              You might also read the following for general understanding
                              see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
                              see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex)
                              see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/tnsping-101/] tnsping-101 
                              • 12. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                                sb92075
                                989728 wrote:
                                Hi everyone,

                                I installed oracle database 11g2 software along with the sample database named ORCL, on Centos 6.3 Linux platform.


                                Local login works well,


                                RMAN-LINUX[orcl]/home/oracle>sqlplus / as sysdba

                                SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Apr 4 09:59:41 2013
                                unsupported combination of OS & Oracle version.
                                • 13. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                                  992731
                                  I've read the article

                                  http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/

                                  but it doesn't help me. I'am stuck.
                                  • 14. Re: TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
                                    sb92075
                                    989728 wrote:
                                    I've read the article

                                    http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/

                                    but it doesn't help me. I'am stuck.
                                    from AIX do EXACTLY as below

                                    script capture.log
                                    truss sqlplus scott/tiger@ORCL


                                    to terminate the script capture issue "Ctrl-D" then do as below

                                    grep tnsname capture.log

                                    COPY the results from grep above then PASTE all back here
                                    1 2 Previous Next