10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 4:44 PM by damorgan RSS

Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c

user2573680
      Hi

We are planning to upgrade our Oracle 11gR1 Production/Dev./Test Databases v.11.1.0.7 to Oracle 11gR2 latest version v.11.2.0.3 running on HP-UX IA 64-bit platform and Oracle 11gR1 App Servers FMW v.11.1.0.6 WLS v.10.3.6 to Oracle 11g R2 v.11.2.0.1 running on HP-UX PA-RISC 64-bit platform.

Probably next year we have a plan to upgrade our Databases and App Servers to Oracle 12c.

We would like to know which is the best and the most suitable platform and server configurations to upgrade and migrate our Oracle 11gR1 Databases and App Servers on separate servers.We plan to consider all factors especially scalability, reliabiility,manageability,performance and cost for servers and oracle licenses.

Currently we have 2 options HP-UX Itanium and Sun Solaris.But which one you strongly recommends and what are the reasons. Could you please share your valuable experiences with us.

Thanks
      Saleem
        • 1. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
          Mark D Powell
          Disclaimer: I work for HP in an AIX shop.

There is a lot of work involved in changing platforms. You have to consider not just Oracle but all your OS level scripts, vendor applications, home grown applications, Webserver in use, etc ... as many of these items could require work to be able to run under a different OS. Unless you are seriously unhappy with existing vendor support you should look first at what is available from the same vendor and then compare your hardware/software/migration effort costs for staying verse another vendor's product.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --
          • 2. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
            JohnWatson
            >

>
            Currently we have 2 options HP-UX Itanium and Sun Solaris.But which one you strongly recommends and what are the reasons. Could you please share your valuable experiences with us.

Thanks
            Saleem
            Disclaimer: I work for an Oracle partner, and we would love to sell you a Sun solution.

But this,
            http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/346696
            does suggest that Oracle on Itanium doesn't have far to go. Things could have changed since that asnnouncement, though.

--
            John Watson
            Oracle Certified Master DBA
            http://skillbuilders.com
            • 3. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
              Mark D Powell
              Oracle has resumed support:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/10/oracle_restarts_itanium_development/

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
              • 4. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
                damorgan
                Disclaimer: I don't work for any company that sells any hardware and I couldn't care less what you choose.

That said ... you've provided totally inadequate information for anyone to help you other than a salesperson hungry for a commission.

What do you do with servers other than use them to challenge your air conditioning system? What are your availability and storage requirements? What expertise do you have in-house and within the pool of available hiring resources?

Without information as to what you are doing with the servers a laptop might be just the ticket ... that's what I'm running 12c on right now. The laptop is great. ;-)
                • 5. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
                  jgarry
                  This falls into the realm of strategic planning. You have to prognosticate what will happen, say, five years out from your 12 upgrade. That is, of course, impossible. You can hardly do it for your own company, much less your companies' vendors. Hopefully you have access to a competent strategic planner who disagrees with me. Unfortunately, there is a huge ecosystem of consultants with their own agendas.

But you can throw out some ideas from past history. Oracle has certain platforms they favor, and other platforms that are secondary to that. Sometimes it is difficult to know the ordering, as there can be marketing and posturing based on Larry's reaction to breakfast, for all we know. As an HP customer, you may be familiar with that, the Itanium fiasco has been referred to even in this thread. The "Disclaimers" have been entertaining. Disclaimer: I work for a company that uses HP Itanium, and has been treated poorly by Oracle going back long before that. We also have third party apps I don't think run on Solaris or Linux.

So the question becomes, what platform does Oracle prefer now, and will that change over the next decade? Obviously, they are pushing Sun. Some people call BS on that (for example, see kevinclosson's twitter feed, or media reports of the IBM feud). They also push Linux. HP is in the doghouse, Oracle is only supporting it because the court says to. This is not to say the people actually working on the HP ports aren't good, but we can't know their actual situation - they may be good people dealing with a depressing situation out of their control. Or not.

The people who disparage Oracle's marketing push do bring up a point: what if it goes over like a lead Zeppelin? Personally, I don't think that would be such a big deal, I think internally people realize where the growth will take place, apps and cloud and Big Data and whatever marketing term is hot 5 years down the road. Of course, the executives who would push a fail like that would go bye-bye, investors who don't take a long view would squeal, but that wouldn't make much difference to us customers.

So if I were in a company using a fairly pure Oracle technology stack, I'd go with what Oracle is pushing. Even if three years down the road Oracle suddenly decides their current initiatives are dog meat, and some other hardware/OS/paradigm is then the golden boy, there would still be a couple of years at least of Oracle pushing some fairly easy upgrade path. The big problem for you then would be the same as it is now - What to do, nothing, change, upgrade? - and the solution set would be the same. And if Oracle succeeds with this push, then you look golden.

Tactically, the answer is similar to Dan's answer: cut through the marketing BS, explicate your needs, see what fits. Be sure and evaluate whether you want to be bleeding edge or not.
                  • 6. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
                    damorgan
                    With respect to how decisions are made at Oracle I think we can safely say Larry's breakfast likely hasn't influenced a strategic decision since he was in grade school. Anyone watching Oracle Corp. should know that the strategy has had a tremendous amount of consistency for decades.

Oracle has always, let's go back more than a decade ago on this, favoured a specific operating system platform for initial development and patching with other platforms being secondary. For many years it was Solaris and that it may be again should not surprise anyone not living in a very deep cave. Oracle Beta testers, too, will favour specific platforms that are more readily available for them. So, for example, not having an HP/UX or AIX server in my lab I don't test those environments.

If part of a rational hardware platform decision is the operating system then by all means choose one that is initially released, most heavily tested, and upon which patches will be released first.

But so far the OP has yet to provide a single data point indicating my laptop is not the perfect 12c environment.
                    • 7. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
                      user2573680
                      Hi,

We don't agree with and entertain sales people who simply throws some news without looking whether it is old or new as in the case of Mr.Watson.

I totally agree with Mr.Powell there will be huge work involved whenever we change platform.But since we are thinking and planning to change between same flavours of unix i.e. HP to Sun we don't have to do much changes in our OS level script and we do have sound expertise.

We don't have any major vendor applications or web servers in use directly dependant on our existing HP-UX platform still find out if it is possible shares this info.The storage is not a constraint for us.

We have a bespoke Oracle Application developed using Oracle 10g Forms and Reports deployed on Oracle 10gR1 App Server with backend running as Oracle 10gR2 Database and later upgraded both DB and App Servers to Oracle 11gR1.The DB Servers are running on HP-UX IA 64-bit platform and App Servers are running on HP-UX PA-RISC and HP-UX IA 64-bit platforms.

The HP support is good but since the cost of purchasing new HP-UX IA 64-bit servers along with AMC is very high we have started analysing other platforms.

We are not worried for migration costs as we have got a very good and capable team to handle migration tasks but would like to reduce server/oracle licensing cost.The new servers should be highly suitable and compatible with both HP as well as NetApp SAN.

This thread is not for people who talks childish and says Oracle 12c can be run from laptop infact they have to understand any Oracle DB/App Server Release/Version can be run foom both a desktop/laptop but here we are asking information for Commercial Establishments.

Still yet to review the next few updates.

Thanks
                      Saleem
                      • 8. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
                        JohnWatson
                        user2573680 wrote:
                        Hi,

We don't agree with and entertain sales people who simply throws some news without looking whether it is old or new as in the case of Mr.Watson.
                        Well, sorry, buddy. I was only trying to help. I shall unsubscribe from this topic.
                        (I don't think anyone has ever called me a sales person before).
                        • 9. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
                          EdStevens
                          user2573680 wrote:
                          Hi,

I totally agree with Mr.Powell there will be huge work involved whenever we change platform.But since we are thinking and planning to change between same flavours of unix i.e. HP to Sun we don't have to do much changes in our OS level script and we do have sound expertise.

We don't have any major vendor applications or web servers in use directly dependant on our existing HP-UX platform still find out if it is possible shares this info.The storage is not a constraint for us.

We have a bespoke Oracle Application developed using Oracle 10g Forms and Reports deployed on Oracle 10gR1 App Server with backend running as Oracle 10gR2 Database and later upgraded both DB and App Servers to Oracle 11gR1.The DB Servers are running on HP-UX IA 64-bit platform and App Servers are running on HP-UX PA-RISC and HP-UX IA 64-bit platforms.

The HP support is good but since the cost of purchasing new HP-UX IA 64-bit servers along with AMC is very high we have started analysing other platforms.

We are not worried for migration costs as we have got a very good and capable team to handle migration tasks but would like to reduce server/oracle licensing cost.The new servers should be highly suitable and compatible with both HP as well as NetApp SAN.
                          If you leave HP-UX at all you are probably going to face the same migration issues. HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, Linux, they all have their slight differences. If licensing cost is a consideration, then you have to start your search with Oracle Linux, then come up with a pretty good reason to justify what will be a huge diference in licensing cost between that and HP-UX or AIX or Solaris.

The cost advantage of Linux is just too big to ignore, both in software licensing and hardware costs. You could probably pay for the software license and 1 year support contract out of your own pocket (I'm not suggesting you do that, I'm making the point of how inexpensive it is). And it can run on commodity hardware.

>
                          This thread is not for people who talks childish and says Oracle 12c can be run from laptop
                          You missed Dan's point. He was pointing out that, without any further information from you on your real and actual situation, his suggestion of a laptop was just as useful as any other suggestion. I guess the irony was lost on you.
                          infact they have to understand any Oracle DB/App Server Release/Version can be run foom both a desktop/laptop but here we are asking information for Commercial Establishments.
                          And you have to understand that you have not really provided enough information to make a recommendation of a high-end Exadata machine any more reasonable than a laptop.

Not that any recommendation at all would ever be valid. From your end, we're just a bunch of strangers on the internet ...

"It must be true, I read it on the internet. They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true"
                          "Where did you read that?"
                          "On the internet."
                          >

Still yet to review the next few updates.

Thanks
                          Saleem
                          • 10. Re: Best platform & Server Configs to run Oracle DB/App Servers 11gR2/12c
                            damorgan
                            Nothing childish about what I stated (and you will find that those who post insults have their accounts closeded so I recommend you read the FAQ) ... what I stated was that the original post contained insufficient information from which to distinguish between needing an Exadata, z11, p795, M9000, or a laptop.

But back to my laptop ... run head-to-head a few years ago against a telecom's M9000 it did remarkably well. Returned SELECT COUNT(*) FROM obj$ faster. ;-)

Again your hardware choice depends on the load and use to which you wish to put it. One of the biggest operating system consideration is likely between endians.