1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2013 9:11 AM by Adella RSS

LCM - Planning Application Migration

Adella
      Hello All,

I have a planning application in Dev which is out of date from few months and so I would like to sync it up with the lastest information from production application. I took a backup of the planning application in production and have it in my file system to use.

I would like to know the order for the below (from my file system backup) while importing into the application in Dev. Can someone please share the order/steps or some documentation that would help me.

1) Configuration
      2) Global Artifacts
      3) Plan Type
      4) Relational Data
      5) Security ( I probably won't worry much about the security as it's a Dev application)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
      ~ Adella
        • 1. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
          Mehmet Sevinc
          Hi Adellla,

I have never had an issue running these 5 groups at once. When I have other artifacts such as Calc Manager or Shared Services, I export them first and then planning.

Cheers,
          Mehmet
          • 2. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
            Celvin Kattookaran
            There is no specific order, you can do them all at once.

Since you have Configuration (user preferences and user variables) you might get some kick outs, because of security sync. if you are importing Planning units you might get some kick outs too.

Regards

Celvin

http://www.orahyplabs.com

Please mark responses as helpful/correct if applicable

Edited by: Celvin Kattookaran on Apr 4, 2013 6:46 PM
            • 3. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
              Adella
              Thank you Mehmet for responding to my question.

I did try migrating everything at once but when I did that the migration is failling after about 30-40 mins. I tried to look for the error message and all it says in the migration details is :

Cause of failure unavailable.+

This is the reason I thought maybe I should be doing it in a particular sequence to make it work and hence I asked the question to clarify.
              Also, when I try to import some standard dimensions/artifacts individually I would get the same error message. I am not sure what is the cause of this error message.

Please let me know your further thoughts on this.

Thanks,
              ~ Adella
              • 4. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                Adella
                Thank you Celvin for your response.

I did try migrating everything at once like you and Mehmet suggested but it wasn't working for me. The migration was failing with this error message :

Cause of failure unavailable.+

Can you please let me know your further thoughts on this.

Thanks,
                ~ Adella
                • 5. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                  Celvin Kattookaran
                  Can you check the migration logs to see whether there is any extra information

*<epm_drive>*:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\diagnostics\logs
                  *<epm_drive>*:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\*<your doman>*\servers\FoundationServices0\logs\SharedServices_LCM.log

Regards

Celvin

Please mark the responses as helpful/correct if applicable
                  • 6. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                    DeepthiM
                    Hi

As Celvin, mentioned it is hard to say anything without knowing more from the logs.

Besides it will be a good idea to also check your Java heap size in Shared services and Planning - usually migration takes up a lot of it.

Deepthi M
                    • 7. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                      Adella
                      Hello Celvin,

I could locate the log file at <epm_drive>:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\*<your doman>*\servers\FoundationServices0\logs\SharedServices_LCM.log
                      and below is the message that was in the log file on the day and time when I was getting the error Cause of failure unavailable during my migration process.

*[2013-04-05T11:51:46.749-04:00] [FoundationServices0] [ERROR] [EPMLCM-37003] [oracle.EPMLCM] [tid: 11] [userId: <anonymous>] [ecid: 0000JrQmVtgA5Ul94vbADi1HKqCJ0008IV,0] [SRC_CLASS: com.hyperion.lcm.handler.LCMContext] [APP: SHAREDSERVICES#11.1.2.0] [SRC_METHOD: addStatusMessages:227] Cause of failure unavailable.*

To me in this message there is no extra information regarding the cause of the failure. Does this give you some idea?

Also, I tried this location <epm_drive>:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\diagnostics\logs but I wasn't sure which log file should I be looking at. Can you please tell me the name of the log file to look for in this location.

Please let me know your further thoughts on this.

Thanks,
                      ~ Adella
                      • 8. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                        Adella
                        Thank you Deepthi for your response and suggestion.

I did include the information/error message that I could find in the SharedServices_LCM.log file in my response to Celvin.

Also, you had mentioned to check the Java heap size in Shared Services and Planning. It would be helpful if you could please let me know the files or location where I can check the Java heap size setting.

Will be looking forward..

Thanks,
                        ~ Adella
                        • 9. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                          JohnGoodwin
                          If you have heap size problems then this is usually displayed in the logs, if you want to check the settings then refer to http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/epm_install_1112200/ch11s01s01.html
                          If planning is running on windows and using a service then the values are in set in the registry.

Cheers

John
                          http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
                          • 10. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                            Celvin Kattookaran
                            Is there a folder called migration created in <epm_drive>:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\diagnostics\logs

Regards

Celvin

Please mark the responses as helpful/correct if applicable
                            • 11. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                              Adella
                              John,

Thank you for sharing the link. Yes, planning is running on Windows.

At the following location - *:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\epmsystem1\bin\deploymentScripts* in the SetCustomParamsFoundationServices.bat this is what is there

SET USER_MEM_ARGS=-Xmx512m -Xms128m

Is this the thing that is causing the error in Shared Services when I am trying to migrate artifacts? Which value needs to be changed and to what number?

Is a server reboot required or just running the bat will be enough after changing the value in the bat file?

Thanks,
                              ~ Adella

Edited by: Adella on Apr 10, 2013 1:01 PM
                              • 12. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                                JohnGoodwin
                                You only need to increase if you are getting jvm related errors and it will be the windows registry that you will change rather than the script.

Cheers

John
                                http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
                                • 13. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                                  Adella
                                  Celvin,

I don't see any such folder i.e. "Migration" in the location you specified.

Thanks,
                                  ~ Adella
                                  • 14. Re: LCM - Planning Application Migration
                                    Adella
                                    John,

Thanks again for your immediate response.

I now understand that it's the Windows registry setting that needs to be changed instead of the script. Unfortunately when I tried to look in the log files as suggested by Celvin I saw the same error message -

Cause of failure unavailable*

that also showed up in Migration Status Report in Shared Services. I am not sure if it's a JVM related error or not. If the error would have been more descriptive in the log or in the Migration Status Report it would have have been better.

I am still struggling to know the actual cause of this error message that I am getting while migrating some artifacts.

Thanks,
                                    ~ Adella

Edited by: Adella on Apr 10, 2013 1:21 PM
                                    1 2 Previous Next