8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 5:12 PM by 1001344 RSS

JavaFX 2 in zip format?

Is there anyway of getting JavaFX in a zip format instead of an actual installer for windows os?

Thanks.

Edited by: 998341 on Apr 5, 2013 11:51 AM
        • 1. Re: JavaFX 2 in zip format?
          gimbal2
          JavaFX is part of the Java 7 JDK nowadays. So no.
          • 2. Re: JavaFX 2 in zip format?
            KonradZuse
            Um..... unless this is something else, last I checked there was this http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/zip/package-summary.html
            • 3. Re: JavaFX 2 in zip format?
              Thanks for the reply as I do not have admin priv. on the machine I program on so it's impossible for me to load the JDK and use JavaFX so looks like I'm just out of luck.

Thanks again.
              • 4. Re: JavaFX 2 in zip format?
                gimbal2
                TheChazm wrote:
                Thanks for the reply as I do not have admin priv. on the machine I program on so it's impossible for me to load the JDK and use JavaFX so looks like I'm just out of luck.

Thanks again.
                You'd think there is a system administrator that can do the installation for you...

You are free to install it somewhere else, zip it up and then unpack it to your locked down machine. What you'd be missing is 'default java' behavior (in other words: if you run stuff on the command prompt you'd have to add the bin directory to your system path to just be able to invoke 'java'), no browser plugins and javaw is not setup to run jars. If your aim is JavaFX then the missing browser plugin stuff might be a deal breaker for you, but you would have had the same problem if JavaFX came in just a zip file.
                • 5. Re: JavaFX 2 in zip format?
                  KonradZuse
                  Oh... I thought you werre asking how to make zip files, not get Java in a Zip file....

You better contact your boss or whoever is in charge to get this problem fixed.

Love it when people expect you to do something, but lock you out of your computer.
                  • 6. Re: JavaFX 2 in zip format?
                    gimbal2
                    KonradZuse wrote:
                    Love it when people expect you to do something, but lock you out of your computer.
                    Worse: they don't expect it, they -demand- it and ASAP.

In the mean time you're probably free to do just whatever you want in production databases, but beware if you attempt to install something useful yourself on your working machine!
                    • 7. Re: JavaFX 2 in zip format?
                      KonradZuse
                      You would be amazed at how disorganized some of these big fortune 20 companies are.

People wonder how they even get to where they are. Still doing things by hand, instead of automating them :P.
                      • 8. Re: JavaFX 2 in zip format?
                        Cough cough got to love the government.. Thanks for the info though.