This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2013 2:17 PM by bigdelboy RSS

Legitmate short dated voucher sites?

1001408 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any legitimate short dated voucher sites like getcertified4less for Oracle tests. eg you have 1 - 2 weeks to take the test before it expires.

There are some exams I'm interested in doing but at £131 + VAT for a single exam it's pretty steep compared to other certification programmes eg Microsoft where I could get 2 or 3 MS certs for the same cost as 1 cert with Oracle.

I appreciate there are 'costs' to cover but not everyone has got a company training budget or OPN discount to rely on. If there was a place to get vouchers without paying the VAT that would help a little bit but my google searching so far seems to indicate the only place you can get vouchers is Oracle or pay direct to Pearson.
  • 1. Re: Legitmate short dated voucher sites?
    matthew_morris Expert
    I was wondering if there are any legitimate short dated voucher sites like getcertified4less for
    Oracle tests. eg you have 1 - 2 weeks to take the test before it expires.
    The following entry from the official blog would seem to indicate "No":

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0736
  • 2. Re: Legitmate short dated voucher sites?
    bigdelboy Pro
    If exam price is very important to you you may find it useful to watch for any beta exams:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=182

Whether anything arrives is typically somewhat unpredicable, and may only be present for a short while. And it does not suit everyone. You may for example find over a five year period that there are between 2 and 5 beta exams that fall in your area, and it may be less or more depending what your area is.

Beta exams do not suit everyone.There will normally be more questions, less time to do them, and the exam will be longer.

I think I recall Matthew has previously said he hates them. I am more "happy" to try them as they can on occasion (not always) work for me on cost/risk/benefit basis. And sometimes time cost can outweigh exam cost; sometimes is doesn't. Exam cost is a hard fixed cost; Time cost can sometimes be a hard fixed cost (eg taking time of work and losing money); other times it is merely a time cost when I could have been doing something else like trainspotting up the junction or freezing on seagulltown peir after a gull has stolen my chips or watching pointless or responding to a pointless thread in a nearby forum.
  • 3. Re: Legitmate short dated voucher sites?
    matthew_morris Expert
    There will normally be more questions, less time to do them, and the exam will be longer.
    'Less time to do them' is not really accurate. The test will have something on the order of 2.5 to 3 times the questions the production exam will have. The duration will set to what OE thinks will be 2.5 to 3 times the production exam time. Since everything is in flux during the beta, those two are just approximates. I didn't find running out of time to be a problem. Running out of mental energy about 3/4 of the way through the test was a bigger issue.
    I think I recall Matthew has previously said he hates them.
    I detest them. Betas can take you three hours sitting in front of the screen answering all of the questions. That's just too long. You also have to deal with the buggy aspect of questions and answers. What I probably hate most is the 'not knowing' whether I passed or failed for twelve weeks minimum (this assumes you took the beta in the final days it was available).

I recently took the 1Z0-117 exam -- about ten days after it went production. I knew that I had passed an hour later. The beta testers didn't know theirs until a week after I had taken my exam.
    I am more "happy" to try them as they can on occasion (not always) work for me on cost/risk/benefit basis.
    I will grant that my employers have always paid for my exams (assuming I pass them). Saving my employer's money isn't worth the added hassle to me.
  • 4. Re: Legitmate short dated voucher sites?
    bigdelboy Pro
    Just to clarify:

By "less time to do them" I meant that the average time available to complete each question is typically less for betas than on production exams.

I recall the 1z1-053 beta was something like 175 questions in 180 minutes ... the production is 80 questions in 105 minutes.

I think it is generally the case less time is allowed per question on beta.

But on 1z1-460 recently I certainly had enough time in reserve to review some questions and make comments (e.g. you say this question has an exhibit but I assure you I cant see one!).

And yes ... after a long beta I do feel like I've been brian deaded ... and even part way through I can find myself going into a trance and saying I need to pinch myself, get refocused and work the problem.

Original poster may assume that while beta exams may save you money they may seriously damage your sanity.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points