This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2013 2:05 PM by Avi Miller RSS

What are the benefit of OL 6.3 over OL 5.8

927981 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I did the lot of go-ogling to find out my query. But did not get any suitable answer any where except following line.

"In Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.3, the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel has been greatly improved by Oracle, including extended functionality and bugfixes."

I want to choose OL vesrion for Oracle RAC installation. But I am not getting any clue which OL version (5/6) is better for Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) as both OL version (5/6) are compatible to Oracle RAC.

Could you please suggest on following with respective OL doc.This will help us to take right dissission?

1. What are the advantage of OL 6.3 over 5.8?
2. Is there any exceptional benefit availble for Oracle RAC in OL 6.3 which is not availble in OL 5.8?

Thanks,
  • 1. Re: What are the benefit of OL 6.3 over OL 5.8
    Dude! Guru
    I rather suggest to question whether you should use an old version instead of one that is up to date. What is the reason for running 5.8?

Since Oracle Linux and upgrade is free I suggest to use the latest version, in particular if support and having the latest security patches are important. The only reasons I can generally see to stay with an older OS are if your hardware or software does not support the newer version, skill or budget constrains, or if the new version introduces an unacceptable issue.
  • 2. Re: What are the benefit of OL 6.3 over OL 5.8
    Avi Miller Guru
    924978 wrote:
    1. What are the advantage of OL 6.3 over 5.8?
    Oracle Linux 5 has reached its end-of-life and is now in sustaining support. That means no significant hardware updates, bug fixes, or new features will be added and only very significant security patches will be applied. If you haven't already installed your system, you should select the most recent release to ensure you have the latest software possible, which includes all hardware improvements, security and bug fixes. This means Oracle Linux 6.4.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points