7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2013 12:18 PM by Murray9654 RSS

Hi small doubt on network app?

Murray9654
      Hi we have developed an app in java which works on LAN. But according to new requirement we need to run that app on LAN which is established via WIFI. I mean all the systems connect to LAN using WIFI. So is there anything special that we have to do to make the app run on the WIFI LAN?
        • 1. Re: Hi small doubt on network app?
          gimbal2
          Exactly what does your application do on this LAN of yours? Just make network connections? If so - its the OS that does the actual connecting, not your application. You just say "oy, connect to THAT".
          • 2. Re: Hi small doubt on network app?
            Murray9654
            It does multicating and establishes tcp/ip (socket) connections. I am not sure but i think the network protocol(collision detection etc) will be implemented by OS and then then the tcp/ip is implemented by sockets. Am i right?

as far as i know networking is a concept. if it has to be established there should be a protocol well implemented. One such protocol is WIFI which makes the systems to establish LAN. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by: Muralidhar on Apr 7, 2013 12:42 AM
            • 3. Re: Hi small doubt on network app?
              Murray9654
              Any help on this?
              • 4. Re: Hi small doubt on network app?
                DrClap
                Well, the answer is "Probably not". However I would just try it and see what happens.
                • 5. Re: Hi small doubt on network app?
                  EJP
                  I am not sure but i think the network protocol(collision detection etc) will be implemented by OS
                  By the TCP/IP networking stack, inside the OS.
                  and then then the tcp/ip is implemented by sockets. Am i right?
                  Not so much right as meaningless. A socket is an endpoint of a TCP connection, or a UDP endpoint.
                  as far as i know networking is a concept. if it has to be established there should be a protocol well implemented. One such protocol is WIFI which makes the systems to establish LAN. Please correct me if i am wrong.
                  I don't really np know what all this is supposed to mean or how it affects your project, whatever that is. Perhaps you could ask a specific question?
                  • 6. Re: Hi small doubt on network app?
                    Murray9654
                    Thank you. Pretty much clear with the other two things.
                    I don't really np know what all this is supposed to mean or how it affects your project, whatever that is. Perhaps you could ask a specific question?
                    Just trying to understand so that i will have a better idea.

ok anyways can i conclude for an app iit does not make any difference whether the LAN is wired or wireless or WIFI ?
                    • 7. Re: Hi small doubt on network app?
                      Murray9654
                      ok then i conclude for app how network is established does not matter. It is for OS. Thanks for all your replies.